FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hue keyframing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Alvarez
Hue keyframing
on Jul 15, 2015 at 8:09:34 pm

Either I'm missing something or keyframing hue values in FCPX is very poorly designed. In every other NLE or motion graphics program I've ever used, including Premiere and AE, the hue wheel starts at 0 and goes both ways, - and + values. So you can keyframe changes in hue as you see fit, most likely for artistic purposes.

But in FCPX, if you keyframe hue, it has no negative values. It goes from 0 to 360, which would be fine with me if you could keyframe starting at 0 and going back towards 320 for example, but you can't. If you do that, between keyframe 1 and keyframe 2, it will go forward in value, going through the whole array of hue values between 0 and 320. I can't seem to find a way to go from 0 to 320 but making it change the values backwards, as in 0, 359, 358, etc, all the way down to 320.

Am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Hue keyframing
on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:36:10 pm

It is what it is. I'd recommend you grab Davinci Resolve for more robust color grading. The controls in FCPX are meant to be simple to use but by no means comprehensive. Color Finale is also a great option.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Sebastian Alvarez
on Jul 16, 2015 at 2:17:11 am

DaVinci may be great for color grading, but it's a pain to edit in. Besides, I'm not talking about any fancy color grading here, I'm talking about a very simple hue keyframing that's very easy to do in any other NLE. Using DaVinci for this would be like calling a lawyer because I have a mild argument with my brother.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 16, 2015 at 3:22:57 am

That's what I do anytime there's a disagreement.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Jul 16, 2015 at 7:34:11 pm

Not sure if you have a good understanding of the color wheel and how it relates to hue. To accomplish what you want, you would just keyframe from 360 degrees to 40. That's the exact same thing as going from 0 to -320.

I would suggest in general to look at what you need to do and try to accomplish that, rather than going through little by little and nitpicking every little detail of functionality. All the programs do the same thing, they just do them a bit differently at times.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Alvarez
on Jul 16, 2015 at 9:46:01 pm

[Howard Duy Vu] "Not sure if you have a good understanding of the color wheel and how it relates to hue. To accomplish what you want, you would just keyframe from 360 degrees to 40. That's the exact same thing as going from 0 to -320."

It's not, but you have a good point in starting at 360. Keyframing 360 down to 320 works just as I would do 0 to -320 in Adobe software. Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Jul 17, 2015 at 10:09:43 pm

[Sebastian Alvarez] "It's not, but you have a good point in starting at 360. Keyframing 360 down to 320 works just as I would do 0 to -320 in Adobe software. Thanks for the tip."

Well, when you say "it's not exactly the same," that's just semantics. It's functionally equivalent, which is all that matters. Also, it's 360 to 40 which is the same as 0 to -320, not sure if you had a typo there or if you misunderstood. You have to think of a circle, where 360 degrees equals 0 degrees, so to cycle backwards through the hues, you would go from 360 to 40.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]