FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyword collections from a Project Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
Keyword collections from a Project Sequence
on Jul 14, 2015 at 10:31:21 am

Hey all -

Real early editing and only one cup of coffee so far. So with that as a background, I hope this is not a really dumb question. Doing a teaser for a documentary in After Effects and I am selecting some interview clips in X. From 30-40 minute string-outs (with TC burn so the client can review and start his paper edit) I am adding markers and naming good quotes. This works quite well, but is there a way to create a keyword collection from a Project sequence? I tried selecting a range and adding a KW, but it put the entire string-out in the KW collection.

For this teaser, it's easy enough to copy and paste from one Project into the other, but it would be great to further organize from this sequence in KW collections for the long form edit in the future. Or do I need to Shift-F and create the KW from the original clips? Thanks in advance. More coffee....

sw

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Keyword collections from a Project Sequence
on Jul 14, 2015 at 1:23:03 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 15, 2015 at 2:02:41 am

If I understand you correctly, you want to add a keyword to clips in a Project?

If so, it's not possible, as far as I know, to keyword clips in a Project.

You can keyword the entire Project itself. You could compound all the clips in a Project and keyword the compound, or as you suggest, match frame each clip and add the keyword.

It would be nice if you could "show only used clips" in the Browser as then you could add keywords to just those ranges.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2015 at 2:26:40 pm

You can create a Smart Collection that shows only used clips.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2015 at 3:24:53 pm

Boo ya.

There it is.

Find that smart collection and keyword the clips.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 14, 2015 at 10:52:36 pm

I don't think that solves the problem. Scott - correct me if I've wrong - but it seems to me that you want to keyword ranges of your string-out project based on the client's selections, without deleting the unselected portions of the project. Is that correct? If so, creating a smart collection for "used clips" would sift every part of the project into the smart collection, not just the ranges of the client's selections.

It seems to me that the best way for now, is to use markers and the timeline index.

Or am I going a step past what you were asking about?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:27:03 pm

FCP X, as opposed to 7, wants all organization/media selections to happen in the browser, not in the project/sequence. There's no way to bring timeline markers into clips in the browser.

Does your project contain only the selects or does it contain everything + markers? If it's just selects, or if you can easily create a project that only has those selects, you can see all used ranges in the browser. To enable this, have the project loaded, enable "Show Used Media Ranges" (under View), and toggle the the browser to List mode:

You can then select one or several of these used ranges and apply a keyword to them. Additionally, if you hit enter or tab, FCP X will toggle to the Notes field (which will be specific to that range, not to the entire clip).

Since all your work's been done already within the timeline, it might not be worth it, but that's how I would retrace my steps in order to replicate the logging to the browser level.

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 14, 2015 at 11:48:50 pm

There's another solution. Assuming that your stringout contains everything and you have timecoded with a burn-in for sequence time, not source time. If so, compound it. Then when your client gives you input for selects, go through the compound and mark these ranges and keyword them. Now you have keyworded only the portions of the stringout chosen by the client. This becomes you the source clips for the rest of the edit.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 15, 2015 at 12:35:38 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! My string-out contains everything that my client will pick from a timecode that I burned in with a Generator layer. Each interview subject has their "own" TC hour to start. John Doe starts with hour 01 and Jane Doe starts with hour 02 and so on. Makes things a bit more efficient.

The compound clip would probably do the trick, but I ended up using my markers and then copy and paste to the new Project for the teaser export to AE. Pretty damn quick. But as we move towards to full length edit, I will use the Compound clip suggestion to further refine. I certainly do like the organizational tools in FCPX. Thanks again.

sw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]