Looking for project naming conventions to prevent updating wrong version

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariane Fisher
Looking for project naming conventions to prevent updating wrong version
on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:30:34 pm

We currently name projects:

LNAME_FNAME_PROJECT TYPE_EDIT DATE

But twice now, upon receiving a recut request an editor has updated a version that was not the most recent version. Obviously, diligence is required and this shouldn't happen, but I thought you guys may have some suggestions for workflow or naming conventions which would prevent this.

We do a very high editing volume, so it needs to be scalable.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Looking for project naming conventions to prevent updating wrong version
on Jul 14, 2015 at 1:54:29 am

I'd let the computer track the creation and modify date personally. Expecting the editor to do it as part of the filename leaves too much opportunity for it to not happen consistently. You could also consider a third party tool such as:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/proversioner/
http://focalpointserver.com/about/fcpx/
http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 15, 2015 at 3:35:56 pm

I don't rely on mod dates. I simply name all v1, v2, v3, and so on. Every export has that label at the end. Even the final master file so there's no confusion.

Sometimes I keep all the previous projects in a keyword collection called "backups" or "previous versions" and have a keyword collection for the current project called "current version."

In either case I always duplicate the project after a approval export and let the duplicate be the backup, and increment the current project to a higher version number. If I'm duplicating something with compounds or multicams that are likely to change, I'll make the duplicate a snapshot so that any changes to the current project doesnt affect it later.

I put my projects in a separate event called "sequences" and usually only have one other event called "media" but larger jobs that are ongoing might benefit from more events. Especially now that we have Library smart collections.

None of this will replace diligence or prevent user error of course.

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Jul 15, 2015 at 6:38:11 pm

We do basically the same here:
1. each timeline is incremented RC 1
if you use the space before the version number FCPX will update that number automatically!!
(RC-short hand for rough cut FYI)

2. Also use separate event for all cuts/sequences
and use keyword collections to control abit more
ie: Work cuts, Current cut, Alt cuts etc.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jul 15, 2015 at 7:02:16 pm

I never change the primary name of the Project. I 'Duplicate Project as Snapshot' and keep editing the original. That way, there's never a doubt which is the most current cut. No looking through Snapshots for date and time but if you had to look for a former version, the date and time will guide you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]