FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synchronize clip doesn't carry clip markers forward?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Synchronize clip doesn't carry clip markers forward?
on Jul 13, 2015 at 8:38:47 pm

I just added a ton of markers and favorites to a handful of clips, then the second system sound was delivered. I select a video clip and the sound clip that matches it and created a sync clip based on audio (the camera had an audio feed from the sound guy).

It creates a sync clip with the video and new audio but none of the markers from the original video clip come with it. Is this a bug, or do markers not carry over to the new sync clips?

If they don't carry forward, anybody have a workaround to quickly move my markers and favorites from the original video clips to the sync cilps? Copy/paste isn't working for the markers or favorites.

Thanks in advance.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Synchronize clip doesn't carry clip markers forward?
on Jul 13, 2015 at 10:09:01 pm

Hmm— nothing is coming to mind I'm afraid other than connecting the audio to the original video clip and then disabling the original audio rather than using the built in sync function. Syncing creates a new clip and new clips do not inherit markers from their progenitors, (thus they are heterozygous in genetic terms I believe).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 14, 2015 at 12:48:04 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Hmm— nothing is coming to mind I'm afraid other than connecting the audio to the original video clip and then disabling the original audio rather than using the built in sync function."

Is this something I can do in the browser, or only in the timeline? I suppose I could create a compound clip and add the new audio there, but will the markers show on the outside of the compound clip? I'm guessing not - I'll have to test it. Or I can "Open clip in timeline" and add the new audio there, but that's changing the master clip and that's dangerous, isn't it? I remember reading about people opening a clip in timeline and deleting audio and not being able to recover it without reimporting the original clip.

[Noah Kadner] "Syncing creates a new clip and new clips do not inherit markers from their progenitors, (thus they are heterozygous in genetic terms I believe)."

LOL. It's a shame the markers don't pass on to the new clip (or at least have the option to). I'll make a feature request.

Thanks Noah.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2015 at 2:58:56 pm

You could simply connect the audio in the timeline- no compound. Of course this would only work if the audio and picture are single clips i.e. not groups of clips you're trying to sync. Otherwise start over...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Jul 15, 2015 at 11:55:55 am

What about opening the sync clip in it's own timeline,
(open in timeline command),
then looking up the starting timecode of the video,
finding the corresponding timecode
in the original clip with the markers
and then overwriting video only to the sync clip?
A bit cumbersome but should work no?
Of course, a simple matchframe from the sync clip
would be easier but I believe that doesn't work,
(won't take you back to the original clip),
of course I could be wrong.
I'm not a big X user but hope this idea could help you.
Please keep us posted!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 15, 2015 at 1:53:07 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Or I can "Open clip in timeline" and add the new audio there, but that's changing the master clip and that's dangerous, isn't it? I remember reading about people opening a clip in timeline and deleting audio and not being able to recover it without reimporting the original clip."

On this train of thought - you could add the new audio, and simply disable the original audio instead of deleting it...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]