FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Library Size Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Lax
Newbie Library Size Question
on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:02:17 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create a wedding documentary project as a surprise for my wife and am putting interview clips into the small amount of wedding day footage we have. The issue I have is that the library is on an external hard drive so she doesn't find it and its already huge! I need to get a few more interviews done so will need to store the footage, and am trying to edit the bits that I have together to allow as much time as possible to get everything done, but the library file is now 269GB and I don't have much hard drive space left.

I've created some multicam shots and synced audio in from an external source so I know it will be a large file anyway, but every time I make an edit or change a setting it seems that it just chews up whatever space I have left. Is there any way to reduce project size? I've deleted the render files and that created 20GB, but obviously when I started editing again FCP started to re-render everything so I lost the space.

The project is probably going to end up being 30-45 mins long when it's done (currently at about 23 mins), so roughly how much hard drive space do I need, how can I minimise the amount of space the project takes up and is there an easy and quick way of setting this up?

Thanks,

Pete

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Newbie Library Size Question
on Jul 8, 2015 at 5:46:47 pm

Sorry but any clip you use needs to be in its entirety or the Project won't work. Surely if your wife is worth it you can get another drive? 1TB external thunderbolt is as little as $100 these days...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2015 at 9:36:07 pm

"Honey, what's this box from Amazon?"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2015 at 9:35:26 pm

[Pete Lax] "but obviously when I started editing again FCP started to re-render everything so I lost the space."

Very few have auto render turned on for this very reason. Turn off background render in preferences. If you need to render something, select it and choose ctrl+R.

Return to posts index

Peter von Reichenberg
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:07:52 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for - thank you guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]