FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X footage squished horizontally upon export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Reynolds
FCP X footage squished horizontally upon export
on Jul 8, 2015 at 10:39:57 am

Hi - I'm mostly an amateur and get confused quickly when delving into things like aspect ratios, codecs, etc. However I've been searching for a solution to this problem and I can't seem to find anything that works.

I have a sequence using mostly iPhone 1920 x 1080 footage (with one from an Android that is also 1920x1080). There are also quite a few still images. My sequence is set to 1920x1080 and 30p. Everything looks just like I want it to in the Timeline, but when I export in any numerous file formats, the footage is squished horizontally slightly when played in QT, VLC, etc. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with some difference between the pixel aspect rations between the footage and the still images, but I can't figure out the correct solution. I've tried exporting with a few different codecs and even in lower resolutions but the problem is always the same.

Please don't flame me for my amateurism as I'm sure the answer is very simple. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCP X footage squished horizontally upon export
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:11:02 pm

Take a look at:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12648

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

William Reynolds
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:15:18 am

Thanks - which part exactly? My project size is 1920 x 1080 already, and all my clips are too. All the still images are cropped to that ratio as well (with the Ken Burns effect). What am I missing here? Appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:16:26 pm

Hi William,

No flames on this forum, we're professionals! ;^)

I haven't worked with Android video, but I can tell you that the iPhone shoots square pixel, and your still images should also be square pixel.

If your Android video isn't square (perhaps 1440 x 1080), and your first clip in the timeline was an Android clip, I can envision a scenario where your timeline is set that way. There are a couple of ways to work around this:
1. Export a master file in ProRes from your timeline as-is. Then set up a 1920x1080 preset in Compressor, ensuring that you manually set the aspect to Square Pixels in the Video tab.

2. Rebuild your timeline, starting with either a gap clip or one of your iPhone clips to 'bake in' the square pixel setting - you can delete this after you have other media in the timeline. I'm unaware of any way to change the pixel aspect of a timeline after the fact.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

William Reynolds
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:22:39 am

Thanks for the support :-) My first clip was an iPhone clip so the sequence is 1920 x 1080. I've re-reconfirmed this to be the case. And the one Android clip happens to also be 1920 x 1080 anyways. So still at a loss here :-(

Could it have something to do with the stills? I mean, they're cropped to the same ratio as the footage, but maybe I'm missing something....

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2015 at 9:42:47 pm

You're working in a 16:9 sequence. So , you might be exporting to a 4:3 standard def format which wouldn't look right. If you export to these 16:9 sizes you should be ok...

1920x1080. 1280x720. 853x480. (or any size where the ratio is x/y=1.777

4:3 Formats that won't look right on a computer...

640x480. 720x480 720x486

Return to posts index

William Reynolds
on Jul 9, 2015 at 7:27:45 am

Nope, definitely exporting to 1920 x 1080. I've tried it with a few different settings (Apple Devices, Computer, Master) and codecs but always HD 1920 x 1080 resolution as that's my original footage. Same problem every time.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2015 at 2:44:58 pm

Can you post screen shots of your timeline settings and your output settings?

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jul 9, 2015 at 2:57:17 pm

Additionally, could you post a still image from a source clip, with a matching still from the compressed output file?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]