FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a marker window?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Is there a marker window?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 5:29:18 pm

New to FCPX and tried a google search but didn't find anything definitive.

Is there a marker window in FCPX? I have long interviews and like to put markers with notes for each answer. I'm looking for a window where all the markers are listed with the notes so I can quickly see what's been marked on the clip.

I've found I can click or hover over a marker and an info box popped up, but that's only one at a time.

Is there a marker window, or is it feature request time?

Thanks.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Is there a marker window?
on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:23:54 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Is there a marker window, or is it feature request time?
"

If you do it in the browser, in list view, click the disclosure triangle adjacent to to the clip and you'll see all markers on that clip with notes etc. You can name the markers with your answers, or put in the noes filed.

In the timeline, the clip index will show you all markers and notes. whether added to masters in the browser before cutting into the timeline, as well as anything you've added in the timeline. In both case they are searchable

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:28:33 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Is there a marker window, or is it feature request time?
"

Also, for what you're doing, I'd consider selecting a range containing the answer, and the favoriting or using keywords on the ranges and putting your notes in the notes field for the range. You can then sort using the browser filter menu.Combined with markers if you want. You'll be able to find anything with a click or two..

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:01:40 pm

I originally posted this in the FCPX: Debate forum. Oops. Looks like our conversation got moved but my last reply didn't. See below:

[Charlie Austin] "If you do it in the browser, in list view, click the disclosure triangle adjacent to to the clip and you'll see all markers on that clip with notes etc. You can name the markers with your answers, or put in the noes filed."

Thank you Charlie! Although I'd love to have a separate tabbed window, this definitely gets the job done for me.

[Charlie Austin] "Also, for what you're doing, I'd consider selecting a range containing the answer, and the favoriting or using keywords on the ranges and putting your notes in the notes field for the range"

That's sort of what I'm doing already. The marker is at the beginning of the answer, then I favorite the portion relevant to that marker. Twirling that triangle open lets me see all my notes at once and in reference to the entire interview while being able to quickly navigate through them, select a favorite and cut it into the timeline.

Thanks for your help.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:20:03 pm

The method for creating subtitles might work as well. In Timeline place a marker. When you park cursor over your markers, hit "M" again to see the text field (for your notes). If you make it a "Chapter Marker" a little "bat" or balloon appears, which you then drag out to the intended duration.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:41:18 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Thanks for your help.
"

Glad to help. Also glad you could decipher what i meant by "noes filed" lol. I really should read what i write before hitting "post" ;-)

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 7, 2015 at 7:57:29 pm
Last Edited By Michael Hancock on Jul 7, 2015 at 8:00:56 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Also glad you could decipher what i meant by "noes filed" lol. I really should read what i write before hitting "post""

If you saw half the texts my sausage fingers type out and send (without proofing) you'd know that I speak typo fluently!

EDIT: Also, I know that you cut on all the NLEs. Have you remapped your FCPX keyboard, or did you just stick with the default layout? I'm coming from a Media Composer/Premiere background (I mapped the keyboard settings in both programs to be almost identical). I'm wondering how closely I can remap the FCPX keyboard to match them. Many of the functions in FCPX don't seem to translate to the same commands from the other the NLEs.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 8, 2015 at 4:50:09 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Also, I know that you cut on all the NLEs. Have you remapped your FCPX keyboard, or did you just stick with the default layout?"

Defaults generally. I was mostly on FCP 7 when I started using X, and many commands in those two are (kind of) similar so it wasn't too bad. I use a very slightly modified default layout on Pr. i don't really do much on MC, so I left that alone. There's about 10 min of fat fingers when I click from one to the other, but not too bad. I figure it wards off Alzheimers. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]