FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stutter with second monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kara Stephens
Stutter with second monitor
on Jul 2, 2015 at 7:36:45 pm

Hey all- I'm currently editing a 30 second spot in FCPX. It's mostly 5K red footage with some 5D mixed in. I'm editing using proxies because my laptop isn't powerful enough for optimized. Once everything was transcoded it all played back fine, but the more I edit, the more it starts to stutter. I've trashed the preferences, turned off background rendering but still the stutter persists. I exported an .h264 and that had the stutter in it. Then I unplugged my second monitor (HP Dreamcolor plugged in via HDMI), and voila, no stutter. I can edit in FCPX without a stutter and the exports I had already made play back with out a stutter. Problem solved, except I really prefer having a second monitor while editing. I have automatic graphic switching unchecked, so it should always be high performance. Any ideas on how I can use this monitor without stutter? Here are the specs:

Macbook Pro 2.7 GHz intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
FCP X.2.1
Yosemite 10.10.3
HP Z27x Display

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Stutter with second monitor
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:08:04 pm

That second monitor is tasking your system.

Return to posts index

Kara Stephens
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:32:28 pm

I guess what I'm wondering why is it tasking the system so much and is there anything I can do about it?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 2, 2015 at 9:09:36 pm

I dont have a DreamColor and never used one so its hard to say.
Have you tried an Apple display via displayport/thunderbolt?

Your laptop has to divide its display memory to two displays and again I dont know much about the DreamColors draw power.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 2, 2015 at 9:11:29 pm

Yup sounds like this particular setup is overloaded with the Dreamcolor. I'd go for a broadcast display card such as a Blackmagic Intensity instead. Your color will be more accurate to boot.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Kara Stephens
on Jul 2, 2015 at 9:19:11 pm

I'll look into the Blackmagic card. Weirdly I just updated to Yosemite 10.10.4 and now it's working great. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:55:35 pm

[Kara Stephens] "I'll look into the Blackmagic card. Weirdly I just updated to Yosemite 10.10.4 and now it's working great. Thanks for the help."

Id keep an eye on that. Some things seemed fixed at times with updated OS but then after a few reboots and projects everything bogs down again.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2015 at 3:22:29 pm

I remember reading, though I don't have link, that 10.10.4 addressed certain graphic card problems. But I have also experienced problems that were solved with a clean install only to reappear after a certain amount of time. Apple is not always helping third party companies keep up with changes. I spoke to FSI about getting Aperture support for their broadcast monitors so I could use them for print work, color correction and second monitor. They told me that Apple would not give them the required specs or code or whatever to allow for this.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kara Stephens
on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:04:24 pm

Interesting. We'll so far so good after the update. There's been no stutter at all. I guess time will tell if it comes back.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:14:18 pm

If it does the app store makes a re-install of OS and any given app pretty easy. Annoying but fast. Hope it doesn't come to that but feel like it's always an update away.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]