FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I'm wiping out some hard drives and planning on re-exporting the AVCHD cards to Pro Res with the same names, will I have any problems with my library?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
If I'm wiping out some hard drives and planning on re-exporting the AVCHD cards to Pro Res with the same names, will I have any problems with my library?
on Jun 30, 2015 at 6:21:23 pm

i started working on a project using a OWC Thunderbay 4 as a JBOD, but I just discovered I can change it to a RAID 5 and gain speed. If I'm wiping out some hard drives and planning on re-exporting the AVCHD cards to Pro Res with the same names, will I have any problems with my library? I've already logged 30 hours of footage so I don't want to lose that. I imagine as long as the clips have the same name, I'll be fine. True?

I know this is a (I think) obvious question with a simple answer "yes," but I do not want to discover that I'm wrong and that all those logging hours are lost.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: If I'm wiping out some hard drives and planning on re-exporting the AVCHD cards to Pro Res with the same names, will I have any problems with my library?
on Jul 1, 2015 at 2:51:12 am

Why do this? Why not just use the AVCHD?

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: If I'm wiping out some hard drives and planning on re-exporting the AVCHD cards to Pro Res with the same names, will I have any problems with my library?
on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:19:55 am

Because....unless I have this wrong....everything will go much quicker if I export first to Pro Res

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2015 at 4:27:20 pm

[Noam Osband] "Because....unless I have this wrong....everything will go much quicker if I export first to Pro Res"

I would let FCPX optimize the media, and then use that as the masters.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 1, 2015 at 3:22:18 am

No need to- just optimize the clips directly within FCP.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jul 2, 2015 at 1:07:29 pm

Ah. I thought of doing that. But the way FCP X renames clips was getting in the way. It was adding numbers to the clips. I was having an easier go of it exporting in FCP 7 and just importing the files that way. I thought about not optimizing everything, especially since I have over 100 hours of footage, but I have 16 TB of drive space and I figured I should just use it and enjoy the faster speed.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 2, 2015 at 3:48:41 pm

Why not try a single clip and see how it goes? Generally I have found that if Fcp can't see a clip in its previous location I can reimport it and it doesn't loose a beat. Further I. Can use inspector to consolidate all the media wherever I like. But given the size of your effort I can understand your need to be cautious. Also you need a backup of all this. Drives and raids can get corrupted. The directories can go sour. If they do software can sometimes fix them, disc warrior and the like, but too often not. Since you need a backup. You can test the workflow with the back up.

The part of your question that does interest me, particularly with the frequent updates, is how it handles clips that are renamed. Since you can rename clips within Fcp, does it keep track of the original names. Does it matter if the renaming was done upon import?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]