FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prepping ProRes4444 for Colourists from R3D Files in FCPX Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Schoales
Prepping ProRes4444 for Colourists from R3D Files in FCPX Timeline
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:46:53 pm

Just setting up a project to hand off to colourists for the final colour grade session. The project was cut from R3D files and they want ProRes 4444 files.

What's the easiest way to take my finished, locked, FCP X projects and prep files in said format?

My initial thought was to make a new FCP X Library, copy over the sequences, and consolidate. Then generate optimized media, but I realized that would only make R3D files.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Prepping ProRes4444 for Colourists from R3D Files in FCPX Timeline
on Jun 29, 2015 at 9:07:24 pm
Last Edited By Eric Santiago on Jun 29, 2015 at 9:07:45 pm

Try exporting a clean and simple FCPX XML then open REDCINE.
From there use the Import and make sure to direct the Original R3D Directories and make sure to add all directories thats local.
Then it will ask for the XML.
From there export as ProRes4444 and check-on Generate FCP XML/-X XML (whatever you works).

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:20:01 am

Exporting anything other than raw will bake color settings into the file. Check with the colorist as to whether or not they want an alterations to the RED metadata settings before you export. For example, changing the gamma setting to RedLogFilm.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:54:08 pm

[Adam Schoales] "My initial thought was to make a new FCP X Library, copy over the sequences, and consolidate. Then generate optimized media, but I realized that would only make R3D files"

That would be one way to do it, and not a bad way at all. You would need to generate optimized media, and that will make 444 files, not R3D files.

The problem here is that you will bake in a look (as Oliver mentions) and you will transcode every frame of every clip in the Project.

With RCX, you can trim the clips (with handles) to make the final group of transcodes a little smaller.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:49:42 pm

In regards to Optimize as ProRes4444, I cant seem to ever find that option in FCPX.
I only tried once for the heck of it during initial Apple release.
Is it automatic? I tried to force it in the Project settings but no such luck there.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:25:05 pm

[Eric Santiago] "In regards to Optimize as ProRes4444, I cant seem to ever find that option in FCPX."

R3D, specifically, optimizes in 444. Unfortunately, it's not an option, but rather it's the default setting that can't changed.

Other formats usually optimize to regular ProRes. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it at this time.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:56:23 pm

I take it that would only work with the latest FCPX and Apple Pro Codec set.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2015 at 6:03:56 pm

R3D has optimized to 444 since Red started supporting fcpx way back in the early days.

Right click a file, choose transcode media, click the optimized media box, and it makes a prores 444 file.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 30, 2015 at 7:13:02 pm

Thanks Jeremy.
Since there was on way of knowing my assumption was wrong :)
But hey now I know ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]