FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting new tool "FCPXTRA"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin S. Kurz
Interesting new tool "FCPXTRA"
on Jun 29, 2015 at 1:17:56 pm

A little something to "extend" FCP's keywording capabilities. Even using dictation. Look useful? Worth the (introductory price of) $29 to anyone?

http://fcpxtra.com

- RK

p.s. I'm actually kinda baffled that FCP can't already use dictation for e.g. automated transcription of clips by default. (Yes, I know that dictation works in general in FCP) Seems a no-brainer, seeing that it's all there, it just needs to be connected! I wouldn't even care if it got some things wrong. Whereby from my personal testing I found it will generally do very well at it. Certainly better than anything I ever got Premiere to crank out with its now (understandably) defunct transcription feature.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Interesting new tool "FCPXTRA"
on Jun 29, 2015 at 4:03:23 pm

I think I would probably end up typing those Notes much faster than fumbling around with the dictation. I'd be a lot more excited if it could read the actual waveform of the media and transcribe the waveform as text notes.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:10:23 pm

Odd. Site seems to have vanished. it's awol via my IP. Could be so new they're updating name servers or something.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:03:36 pm

Google for it and you'll find it.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:08:31 pm

There's no googling about it. The domain isn't available here. Googling FCPXTRA.com brings up their site that says opening soon, however only a cache is available. If you click on googles link, I get the charter (my ISP) no such domain page. Which probably means they've changed their name servers and it just hasn't trickled down yet.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:33:02 am

Ok I guess I will win the gig for In-House Googler then: http://fcpxtra.myshopify.com

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:38:38 am

I guess so, because googling fcpxtra doesn't give that result in the first 4 or 5 pages of results. I gave up after that. Does fcpxtra.com work for you?

Thanks for the link!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:08:09 am

[Bret Williams] "Does fcpxtra.com work for you?"

Well, if it didn't work for ME, I obviously wouldn't have posted it. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:44:41 pm

Aha. I just got an email from the developer (who, on a side-note, also did "Final Cat Pro" btw... yes, CAT. :D):

"Hello,
not to bug you, but yesterday fcpxtra.com went offline…"

So there you go. The reasons can be so banal sometimes. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:14:13 pm

I kinda HALF agree. ;) Using the dictation with this is actually not at all fumbly. You have quick and easy access via a shortcut that places the dictated text into the right field without having to select it etc. With SHORT phrases/clips I would agree, but with longer ones, lots of dialog and having to do it over and over I can see this actually being pretty great. And you have to take tabbing/clicking from field to field and dragging and dropping this and that into account. It can really add up. And I for one can't type as fast as the dictation and in fact already use it often for taking notes and for naming favorites (it's a simple, predefined shortcut available in any text field, as you might know). It's amazingly accurate. In both languages I use it in.

But I agree that it probably doesn't save THAT much time on a whole for just everyday use, unless maybe you're really dealing with a HUGE amount of clips that need the same kind of treatment, like I said. It really primarily helps with creating and assigning the keywords (with nifty icons). The dictation part is available/possible without the plugin either way. If someone doesn't actually know that, then they're likely to think they're getting some amazing new functionality with this. :P

I just thought it was an intriguing concept either way and really shows what is possible with FCP if you put your mind to it and connect some (existing) dots. If only we could get Apple to do the same... only better. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2015 at 10:57:29 pm

I bought FCPXTRA as I am embarking on a Doc with lots of material that needs to be " bagged and tagged".

I have to admit that after following the installation instructions I am a bit baffled by the behavior of this service. No matter what I do, none of the services will land the cursor in the notes field and start dictating services. It seems like I am close to that but the plug in still doesn't work correctly.

Does anyone know how to contact the developer because maybe there is something I have overlooked that will sort this out for me. I feel like I am close to having this plug in work the way it should, and I can see that dictation services will speed up the organizational process in my case.

FCP Xtra, Close but no Cigar- yet.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 30, 2015 at 8:42:23 am

http://bfy.tw/13vU ?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:01:07 am

Yep and If one is taking money from people for a product having a customer service link or contact on the site where the sale takes place would seem to be the right thing to do.

My next question is : how is FCP XTRA working for you? I've tried trashing everything, reinstalling etc. and I have the same result which is FCPX does really work..... But I can see that it would be really useful if it did.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 30, 2015 at 10:07:59 am

Well, he does have a Twitter listed https://twitter.com/fcpxtra ... but yes, "minimalistic support options" is putting it mildly. Rather unorthodox.

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:54:20 pm

I am beginning to suspect that the system I am running for FCPX might be 'too fast" . I have a new iMac with top of the line processor and the right processor option selected but the app still back fires.

What kind of system are you running X on and does Xtra work as expected on your system?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:57:01 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:58:07 pm

I'm not actually currently using FCPXTRA. But I have FCP X running on various machines from Mac Minis to Mac Pros, all without "backfire" (whatever that exactly means) issues. Though obviously the latter performs by far the best overall. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:49:58 pm

by back fire I mean that when I invoke the 'keywords dictation on' service, the notes that I dictate might name a favorite, might create a keyword or might do nothing. Rarely if ever do the notes end up in the notes field. Very Frustrating.
On aside note- I FB messaged the creator of FCPXTRA asking for some guidance, but no answer as of yet.

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:06:20 pm
Last Edited By Nick Natteau on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:06:59 pm

"The dictation part is available/possible without the plugin either way. If someone doesn't actually know that, then they're likely to think they're getting some amazing new functionality with this. :P"

Hi Robin, can you elaborate a little bit further about how to do this? I went into my System Prefs dictation settings and downloaded enhanced dictation feature, but dictation does not appear to work in FCPX although it works in other proprietary Apple apps like Notes.

Would love to know how to do this without having to purchase a third party plugin. Thank you kindly in advance.

Nick

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:42:24 pm

[Nick Natteau] "but dictation does not appear to work in FCPX although it works in other proprietary Apple apps like Notes."

It actually works the exact same, yes. You simply (obviously) need an active text field. For example the NOTES field of a clip.

(yes, I dictated that… 😉)

- RK

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:30:28 pm

Thanks very much Robin. It worked! :)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2015 at 4:06:24 pm

THAT would be cool. Set an I & O and audio note auto applies to that clip. Would be very fast and give you ability too quickly find lines of dialog or whatever. You could always go back over them and revise to make notes more concise.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 6, 2015 at 3:29:12 pm

I'm still hoping the next version of FCPX, or a plug-in will actually transcribe the source audio dialog for me, and that the same or another plug-in will make drag-and-drop, one-step, broadcast-legal open/closed captioning from within FCPX a reality. Right now, all the options we see for this are tedious, expensive, or both, yet, if you work on anything with federal money attached to it, you HAVE to caption it. Plus, it's just good practice to caption your stuff, for many practical reasons.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]