FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I move secondary audio clips around vertically without changing their timing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How can I move secondary audio clips around vertically without changing their timing?
on Jun 25, 2015 at 5:20:49 pm

I have some secondary audio laid down, like room tone and crowd noise. I sometimes want to move clips vertically, close to the primary storyline, so I can better see how to adjust them in relation to what's on screen. Is there a way, a button I can hold like there was in FCP 7, so that when I move it vertically, the timing of the audio element doesn't shift at all? I've been looking into this online for the last 15 minutes and can't find anything.

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
Re: How can I move secondary audio clips around vertically without changing their timing?
on Jun 25, 2015 at 5:39:57 pm

There's no shift+click option like FCP 7.

This is how I do it:

1. Place the playhead at the head of the first clip that is selected.
2. As a precaution, disable Scrubbing (S)
3. Enable Snapping (N)
4. Drag the clips vertically. They will snap to your playhead and an overlay will appear confirming that the clips are not moving (the overlay will display something like "+00:00.0").

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How can I move secondary audio clips around vertically without changing their timing?
on Jun 25, 2015 at 6:36:20 pm

Select the clip (I hover over it and hit 'c').

Hold shift.

Drag the clip.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 26, 2015 at 12:11:02 am

But then all the other secondary clips shift due to the genius that is the magnetic timeline. Unless you use the p tool. Or, to get it out of the secondary, safest thing is cmd+shift up arrow. That'll move it out of the secondary and replace with black without needing P tool.

Side note- still drives me nuts you can't use duplicate (option) along with shift to keep it in place horizontally. What's up with that?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 26, 2015 at 2:27:38 am

I see it's just audio so he's probably actually talking about connected clips not secondary clips. I guess that threw me. In which case it's the same button as FCP 7. Shift.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2015 at 3:49:18 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jun 26, 2015 at 5:58:20 pm

[Bret Williams] "What's up with that?"

Yeah. It would be nice.

For now, 'c' to select, command-c to copy, option v to paste as conected, hold shift and drag to the stacking order.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 26, 2015 at 4:58:55 am

Geez that is insanely too complicated. Option drag works just fine. Usually it'll snap to it's location and you can watch the offset value just to make sure. But if we could option shift drag I could do it with my eyes closed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]