FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for best color grading workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ingram
Suggestions for best color grading workflow?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:10:55 am

I recently shot a video with the Black Magic Cinema 4K... I shot in the Apple ProRes 4k format. I prefer to edit in FCP7 but since this was my first time shooting 4k and I wanted to use 4k footage in a 1080p timeline (so I could crop/zoom without losing quality) and fcp7 required so much rendering to do this I decided to go with FCPX and finally commit to giving it a shot. I like the software and there are many great features... I edited my video and it looks great... however, now I am at the point of color correcting/grading and I don't know what the best workflow is... I would prefer to use COLOR but thats not possible in FCPX, and my next choice would be After Effects but there is no way to round trip from FCPX to AE. So I was thinking that the best way (quality wise) to do this is to grade native 4k clips in AE then reconnect those files in FCPX... but this seems so time consuming and also harder to color match clips...

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Suggestions for best color grading workflow?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 2:34:38 am

The roundtrip in Resolve is the best workflow. If you want to use AE, then you can use ClipExporter2 to get FCP X clips into AE.

You can also use Color. Render out a self-contained 1080p master file from FCP X. Import that into FCP 7 and add manual splice points. Then send to Color and grade. Render out a master file from FCP 7.

Finally, there are a number of really good color correction plug-ins for FCP X that are equal to or better than what you can do in AE.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:04:13 am

Also Color Finale is quite lovely within FCPX and avoids all of the round-tripping entirely.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 23, 2015 at 3:07:48 pm

Second that!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:24:13 pm

3rd that.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:28:36 pm

And don't forget to add sliceX to have mocha tracked masks built into color finale. I think it might be time for Apple to just purchase some tech and build it in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]