FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and Drama

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
FCP X and Drama
on Jun 21, 2015 at 9:26:13 am

I'm editing a short I shot and its the first time I've editied a drama in FCP X.

I'm just after a few pointers as how best to organise myself.

My temptation is to have an event per scene which I think willl make organising favoirites a bit easier.

At the moment its just four secenes but some will be added and a few might be re shot.

In case it makes any difference, we shot 2K RAW and I have made Prores 422LT editoral files with synced audio. We might well get a grade in Baselight but no idea at the moment.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X and Drama
on Jun 21, 2015 at 6:12:39 pm

A good starting point would be to go over Mike Matzdorff's book on the "Focus" workflow.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/final-cut-pro-x-pro-workflow/id971472119?m...

Depending on how much footage and how much dialogue, the general workflow is to break down the footage into an Event per scene. Then within each scene break down the lines of dialogue of the script into triplets, which correspond to keyword collections within the Event. So you'd have keyword collections within each scripted scene as L1-3, L4-6, etc. Each range within each take would be assigned to these collections. This requires a lot of assistant editor prep work, but it lets you quickly see all the coverage for each section of dialogue across all takes. That's optional, of course, and might be overkill for a short.

Regarding Baselight later... If Baselight has relinking capabilities as good as Resolve, then you should be fine. You would need to consult with your colorist to confirm that they can take an FCPXML list into Baselight and that it can reconnect to the raw files and their file/folder structure. If Baselight needs an EDL instead, you'll need to invest in EDL-X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jun 22, 2015 at 8:04:06 am

Thanks Oliver - much appreciated.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2015 at 2:59:41 pm

As another option, Baselight can take fcp7 XMLs. A shop that we use asks for the XMLs (for which I use Xto7) and then gives me back an XML that I translate back to fcpxml (7toX). But that is how they prefer to work and maybe EDL would be better for the colorist you're using.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]