FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card Readers and FXP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fenley,
P2 Card Readers and FXP X
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:04:57 pm

Any preferences out there with regard to the Panasonic AJ - PCD26PJ with its 2 USB 2 connects vs the Sonnet Thunderbolt Pro 2 Card Reader. Just looking for a single slot field to laptop reader and am unfamiliar with Sonnet. Anyone with any info about Sonnet and most importantly does it work with Yosemite. Thanks!

Ron Fenley

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: P2 Card Readers and FXP X
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:44:03 pm

i have the panasonic 2 usb version. overpriced and slow but rock solid. let me know if you use the sonnet.

panasonic has a new usb3 version

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1149595-REG/panasonic_au_xpd1p_au_xpd...

from what I've read about sonnet you'll have to mess around with driver issues to get it working.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ron Fenley,
on Jun 19, 2015 at 11:41:49 pm

Ordered the Sonnet from B&H BEFORE I got to read your post. Appreciate your response. Should get it Monday for a shoot in Tempe Arizona. Thanks to you I will bring he old laptop with dual adaptor... It works but VERY slow.

I will let you know if it has improved or not.

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate all the people here at CC.

Ron Fenley

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:54:11 am

Where in Tempe, Ron?
(I'm down the road in Scottsdale.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ron Fenley,
on Jun 22, 2015 at 4:49:40 pm

Crexendo. Cloud communications and business solutions.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:40:55 pm

We've used the QIO for years, but with an old 17" Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. We bought and tried Sonnet's Thunderbolt adaptor into which the QIO plugged, but we never got it to work. We had kernel panics and all sorts of issues so we use the old system which works-no problems. The Sonnet may work fine by now, but we really don't shoot a lot of P2 any more so won't try it again.

Return to posts index

Ron Fenley,
on Jun 19, 2015 at 10:33:14 pm

Thanks John.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 12, 2016 at 4:25:14 am

very old thread but wondering how the sonnet made out. in the market

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 22, 2017 at 1:26:03 pm

I'm in the same situation, since our Duel adapter most likely has stopped working.

Which one should we choose?

The USB3 card reader from Panasonic (works on both Mac and PC, but occupies 2 USB3 ports)

Or

The TB card reader from Sonnet, that works only on 10.9.5+ and is Mac only

The latter would have us to buy a new MBP, the former can be used on a (much cheaper) PC, but with at least 3 USB3 ports...

The offload disk cabinet features USB3, eSATA and FW800 (which we use).

What would you suggest?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 22, 2017 at 4:45:40 pm

If you get a new thunderbolt raid, the Sonnet occupies no jack on the Mac. You would plug the thunderbolt cable into your second thunderbolt port on your raid. The Sonnet has a solid low profile. It is much faster than the Panasonic usb 2 that I used previously. Have not tested it against the usb 3 unit. It was cheaper than that choice. I can't imagine needing to be on an OS before 10.9. You use a PC to import the P2 cards but edit on FCP X? Does that work well?

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 22, 2017 at 5:06:40 pm

Actually, we are still on FCP 7...

And no PC, offload is now done on an old MBP with the Express32 slot and the Duel P2 adapter.

But I am considering moving to PC (using the Panasonic P2 card reader with USB3), since a new PC laptop would be cheaper than a new MBP, with TB and USB3.

But the PC laptop would then have to have 3 USB3 ports, and then it gets quite expensive...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 22, 2017 at 5:11:08 pm

You can't use any flavor of FC on a PC.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 22, 2017 at 6:38:57 pm

The issue is offloading, which works just fine if the offload disk is formatted exFAT.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:05:01 pm

Hey all...

Not sure if this helps, but I used the Duel Adapter years ago until it no longer worker with the version of OSX I'd upgraded to. After that, I found an old MacBook Pro for literally $100 (probably less now) that had the PCMCIA slot in the side, but was maxed out at OSX 10.4. Used that as a dedicated P2 reader. Great DIT workstation - bulletproof for this purpose (and a fraction of the cost of just a P2 reader). P2 cards slide right in with no flaky adapter issues, has Firewire, is fast enough (64G card in about 7-8 mintues), and frees up my other Macs to do other work.

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

Ron Fenley,
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:48:29 pm

We went back to Panasonic. Slow, expensive but rock solid.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 24, 2017 at 12:25:13 am

The Sonnet is rock solid, cheaper and faster with thunderbolt. However if you do not have thunderbolt it's not a choice. And for anyone reading this Thread, sometimes when you update the OS, the card readers stop working but often fixed by re downloading the driver.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Jan 24, 2017 at 11:07:08 am

So, we've ordered the AU-XP1D, that has USB3.

Anyone using it and can tell if you can use a self-powered USB3-hub?

The reason is that you can find cheap laptops with two USB3, but to gain speed, you should connect your offload disk and the card reader over USB3.

My idea is:

Computer -> USB3 hub -> card reader (2 cables) and offload disk (one cable).

Will this work?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]