FORUMS: list search recent posts

can FCP X 10.2.1 or later run on Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
can FCP X 10.2.1 or later run on Mavericks
on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:26:41 am

I know Apple says that OS X YOSEMITE is a requirement but I'm having problems.

Intermittently the Mac will freeze and then reboot itself.

There is serious risk of files getting corrupted. Including the attached raids which are not given a chance to be unmounted.

This is on a 2011 iMac. Th behavior began after updating to Yosemite.

I did a search and it is common for this age iMac.

Further our repair department says they run until this all the time and recommend staying with Maverick.

I like Yosemite but I am now having problems with my second iMac of this vintage. This is at a video production studio at a HS. I can't just buy new computers for the lab.

And the district has a deal with Apple so that Apple care lasts for 5 years.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: can FCP X 10.2.1 or later run on Mavericks
on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:22:29 am

Nope - The current version of FCPX requires Yosemite (10.10.2 or newer). It takes advantage of features that don't exist in earlier versions.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:40:53 pm

I wonder if there is some other issue affecting performance of the Mac? I'm running Yosemite with FCP X 10.2.1 on an early 2009 model Mac Pro with zero issues.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:16:19 pm

My Mac at home is a 2009 mac pro and I have had zero issues. The is a problem with that bunch of iMacs. A google search brought up a bunch of people with same symptoms and repair shop says they run into it a lot with iMacs from that vintage.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:59:15 pm

Have you tried reinstalling the Yosemite from scratch?

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:22:54 pm

I did that a month or so ago when i switched from one iMac giving me the same problems to another. It ran fine for about the last month and then started doing the same thing. I'll do a fresh install again today and see what happens.

Its really scary to have your media drive loose connection without unmounting and your whole system freezes and reboots on its own.

I'll check to make sure I don't have a setting that says restart after crash or something like that. But Mac crashes tend to be a single app - here the whole system freezes. The repair place felt certain its a known Yosemite bug with certain iMacs systems.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 19, 2015 at 5:52:32 pm

[Craig Alan] "Intermittently the Mac will freeze and then reboot itself."

This is absolutely NOT normal. Either the logic board is toast or the OS is corrupt. I would do a complete, re-install from scratch and see if it persists. If it does, then it's a hardware problem. My 2009 MP did this and it required a new logic board.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]