FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any reason not to put everything in one event for a big project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is there any reason not to put everything in one event for a big project?
on Jun 18, 2015 at 5:26:22 pm

I'm logging a feature length. My reason to put everything in one event is that this way everything shows up in the same keyword searches. This isn't a huge advantage - I could use different events and just do smart collections across them - but is there any reason not to keep everything in the same event? I'm just trying to think things through.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Is there any reason not to put everything in one event for a big project?
on Jun 18, 2015 at 6:32:09 pm

Just set up a full feature for audio sync then Resolve.

The end result however will be Premiere :P

For audio sync and per clip check (I made a Clip List of scenes, takes, info, errors, etc.. in Google Docs using the R3D names) I put them all in Day events.
During the clean up I also added keywords for scene numbers.
After all that if for some reason the project comes back to me and needs to be done in FCPX (crossing fingers) I can now just select all the R3Ds and drag em into one Event with a top root Keyword e.g. R3Ds.

The decision to use Premiere is due to the editors knowledge nothing personal.
The pain to setup an RED project in Premiere let alone the failed audio sync option (just doesnt work for some weird reason) is too much for me to deal with so hoping Xto7 will be fixed by the time I get the project back from rough edit.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 18, 2015 at 7:07:39 pm

Becomes a real headache at a certain point IMHO- but the top-level organization is where you as the editor decide how you want to work. No technical reason why you couldn't put all into one Event. Just sorta wastes one level of organization that's built in.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 19, 2015 at 8:30:15 am

I always use a lot of events for the sake of my sanity. I tend to treat them like you would folders in other NLEs. I then use keyword collections to further refine my footage. But it's all just personal preference.

I don't have any particular system. Events could be scenes, days, cameras, or sometimes even camera cards. Just whatever feels right as a natural top level for organising the footage.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]