FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why has FCPX deleted my project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Thorne
Why has FCPX deleted my project?
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13:13 pm

I just discovered that a project that I spent three hours on, and shared from to an MP4 file, has been deleted. Furthermore, I've gone back into all the backed up library files from when I created the project (yesterday) to now, and it's not in any of them. The clips in the event that I used in the project still bear their selection outlines from when I cut the scene, but the project itself has just been erased from existence, apparently across time.

Can anyone provide insight as to why FCPX would do this, and if there's any way to get this project back (and not have to spend three or four hours recutting)?

Many thanks,

Ned
Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4
iMac Late 2014
3.5 Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 2GB

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Why has FCPX deleted my project?
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:57:30 pm

[Ned Thorne] "Can anyone provide insight as to why FCPX would do this, and if there's any way to get this project back (and not have to spend three or four hours recutting)? "

Check and see if you accidentally started editing inside of a master clip. I've seen this happen quite often that people somehow inadvertently hit Open In Timeline and start cutting there, mistakenly thinking they were in a normal project. If it somehow was closed, then it's still there, but you'll have to hunt for it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:19:42 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 14, 2015 at 4:20:45 pm

Generally speaking X is a program with one of the lowest chances of losing work in progress when operated as designed. It constantly saves your work at the keystroke level so that even if you crash, when you reopen the program, you're typically back where you left off, perhaps minus the very last thing you did. When things "go missing" the first thing to do is think about whether you've inadvertently filtered the display results somehow. Did a library go offline? A drive cable come loose? A search string get left in a filter box? I've also seen folks accidentally have two instances of a project, one where they did work, and one shell they setup, but didn't actually work in, and when looking for the "full" one, open the "empty" one and freak out.
As Oliver notes, it is possible to simply work in the wrong space - but I think that's somewhat rare.
Most X editors follow the straightforward path of creating a library, making an event, opening a project and starting to edit in it. And in that scenario, it's really hard to lose work in X.
Basically, don't give up too easily. There's at least a decent likelihood that your work is still there.
Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2015 at 5:55:06 pm

You're saying that there are no backup project files anywhere? And in the library you were using the project just vanished?

Highlight the library and in the inspector find out where the backups are.

If the library is highlighted nothing appears in the browser under projects?

If rebooting doesn't help. try:

Reset preferences in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 or later

Quit Final Cut Pro X.
Hold down the Command and Option keys while reopening Final Cut Pro X. A window will appear asking "Do you want to delete preferences?"
Click Delete Preferences. This command removes the preference files and resets Final Cut Pro X to default settings.

My guess is FC is just being buggy. I've never had it loose a project.

If all this fails I would try:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]