FORUMS: list search recent posts

FS700 Raw Files and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
FS700 Raw Files and FCPX
on Jun 10, 2015 at 10:30:23 pm

So I have a client who is shooting a series of spots using an FS700, an outboard recorder and handing me RAW files. Anyone worked with this in FCPX. Or (gasp) Premiere? MUCH rather stay in FCPX, so any information would be appreciated.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FS700 Raw Files and FCPX
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:23:32 am

Which outboard recorder? "RAW" can mean a lot of things.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:39:17 am

I think the only RAW X can handle is r3d at this point. I don't know if anyone else has written an importer.

You could probably start in Resolve, considering it handles a good amount of RAW from anywhere, make editable proxies, and then move back to Resolve for the grade, or if you want to stay in fcpx, Render out some sort of flat pass ProRes 444 files and grade the log in X.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:56:30 am

Right now the only recorder that can take RAW from the FS700 is the Odyssey 7Q and 7Q+, which I think is recording it at CinamaDNG RAW - that's what Sony uses for RAW, right? I kind of forget.

Anyways, it's a rough call getting that into FCPX from what I understand.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 11, 2015 at 1:40:57 am

It is the Odyssey. Is Premiere any better with this?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 11, 2015 at 2:22:33 am

Premiere 6 up does handle Cinema DNG directly (as you would hope since it's Adobe's format).

Another option is to convert "raw" to ProRes so you can stay in FCPX. Lightpost handles this nicely.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bruce Coxon
on Jun 11, 2015 at 2:23:09 am

Sony has a software utility for this.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/rawviewer
Cheers, Bruce

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:17:20 am

Thanks Bruce. If I am reading the manual correctly, the FS700 RAW is an MXF file. We are shooting some test footage before client head to Louisiana. At least I will get the chance to test out a workflow for edit and color.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:24:24 pm

You don't want to work in raw from this camera. I believe the 4K image from the Odyssey will be split into halves or quadrants as well. They offer conversion software. Generally the best plan is to convert to 4K ProRes4444 log-encoded master files. These become your camera masters and that's what you'll edit and master with. Resolve is good to use to prep these files. Then you can edit in anything you want.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:50:40 pm

If I convert through the Sony utility to HD Pro Res, can Resolve get back to the RAW, or is it just not worth it to deal in RAW here?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:55:03 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "can Resolve get back to the RAW, or is it just not worth it to deal in RAW here?"

In theory, yes, but there are a number of factors. If these are split image sequence files then there may be a problem. You will need to test the workflow. In reality, there's little of no reason to go back to the raw, though. You probably won't gain much.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2015 at 9:16:50 pm

The Sony utility will only work if it's recorded with Sony RAW recorded on the AXS-R5. It won't work with Odyssey files.

I'd transcode in Resolve as well. It'll be much easier. You can even to a log encode and use a LUT for preview and grade in X when complete. If you ever need to go back to the RAW, you can always do so in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 13, 2015 at 2:24:57 pm

Actually, they are thinking about going with an Epic and have RedCine do the transcode to ProRes proxies done by the finishing house. And that is totally cool by me! However, I have heard rumblings about Red and hot and humid environments not playing well together. Anyone else heard this?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2015 at 2:36:47 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I have heard rumblings about Red and hot and humid environments not playing well together."

Yes, that's the case for sure with the original RED One. There are anecdotes about DPs putting frozen bags of peas over the camera housing to keep it cool. It might not be an issue with Epic.

That being said, I've worked on a number of indie film projects shot with RED Ones in Florida in summer and there weren't that many problems. Most DPs know how to handle the camera. The only actual issue we had on one project was a scene shot in a hot dry cleaner shop, which is pretty extreme. Those clips had digital hits throughout every set-up. On those, I was able to force a transcode on most takes and cut around the hits. Enough coverage survived to cut a scene together.

Otherwise, I haven't run across too many actual issues and there's a lot of RED bing shot in Florida.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 13, 2015 at 2:48:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It might not be an issue with Epic."

Lets hope so. Not sure there are enough frozen peas in central Louisiana in July....

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2015 at 3:55:38 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Not sure there are enough frozen peas in central Louisiana in July...."

Stick it in a bag in the beer cooler for awhile. I'm sure there are plenty of those there ;-)

(I'm not a DP, so I accept no responsibility if some idiot takes this advice seriously!)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]