FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does it take so long for multicam prep?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathy Murphy
Why does it take so long for multicam prep?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 12:48:07 am

I have done a few multi-cam edits in FCPX before but lately I'm finding that it takes ages for the clips to process. So long, in fact, that it's much faster for me to just layer the clips and edit like that.
Has something changed or is it just that the file sizes are getting too large?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Powell
Re: Why does it take so long for multicam prep?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:09:25 am

FCPX has never been fantastic with syncing. If you edit start/stop multicam often, do yourself a favor and invest in Plural Eyes. It will pay for itself in 2 days of use. I just synced a 6 hour sequence of 5 cameras. FCX would have given me the finger for even trying. PE synced in under 3 minutes. Final Cut's syncing is good for a music video or very long clips that you could easily find the sync points manually, or short sequences. Not great for any large undertakings.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Jun 10, 2015 at 2:31:20 pm

Not sure why many are not using SMPTE TC during the shoot. It's a very archaic but deadly accurate way to sync without worrying about wasting time to offset frames and most importantly during stop and start of any cam. Plural Eyes sometime have problems with audio delay when the front stage camera is synced up to the back stage camera about 500-1000 ft away. It's a breeze but I do see FCP 10 take a very long time, especially multicam with 6-8 2 hrs camera. With that in mind, meticulous logging and many multicam clips are needed. Don't try to put non-multicam clips as it will take considerably longer time to do its background tasks and also enlarge the library file.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 13, 2015 at 5:42:23 pm

I just ran across a great tutorial on FCPX multicam. Doesn't answer your question, but it looks quick in this one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]