FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Opacity Levels - Is there a way of keeping the opacity level line on the video clips, just like the audio tracks have?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Orphan
FCPX Opacity Levels - Is there a way of keeping the opacity level line on the video clips, just like the audio tracks have?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 5:06:02 am

Is there a way to retain the opacity levels on video tracks in the timeline at all times (for quick and easy adjusting) rather than the inefficient process of 'Show Video Animation': 'Compositing:Opacity' etc)?

Is there a way of keeping the opacity level line on the video clips, just like the audio tracks have?
(With audio tracks, you can increase/decrease the audio level without having to 'Expand Audio Components'.) Why do we not have the same option for video opacity (as we did in the old Final Cut Pro)?

One of the annoying things is when using the blade tool on a video track, it will collapse the Video Animation tab of the [now separated] clip to the right of the cut (along with access to the clip's opacity levels). -It's time consuming having to constantly expand the Video Animation of a clip after each edit with the blade tool.

Keen for any advise here!

Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: FCPX Opacity Levels - Is there a way of keeping the opacity level line on the video clips, just like the audio tracks have?
on Jun 9, 2015 at 7:38:01 pm

[James Orphan] "Is there a way to retain the opacity levels on video tracks in the timeline at all times (for quick and easy adjusting) rather than the inefficient process of 'Show Video Animation': 'Compositing:Opacity' etc)?"

The short answer is no. Blade tool will collapse the Animation tab, just as you can't add new clips into the timeline with the animation tab showing. Not sure why it was designed this way, but perhaps they felt having the opacity bar out in the open like that led to too many instances of accidentally adjusting opacity when just selecting clips. I know things like that could happen fairly easily in FCP7. Regardless, it's much harder to get to now (too hard, I know).

As advice, I'd suggest leaving your inspector open to the video tab instead of adjusting opacity in the timeline. The opacity slider is at the bottom of the video tab and is easy to get to and use. And the inspector updates depending on what clip is selected or where the playhead is (in the event nothing is selected) so you can just jump to the next clip and adjust.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCPX Opacity Levels - Is there a way of keeping the opacity level line on the video clips, just like the audio tracks have?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 6:44:05 am

[Andy Neil] "just as you can't add new clips into the timeline with the animation tab showing. Not sure why it was designed this way, but perhaps they felt having the opacity bar out in the open like that led to too many instances of accidentally adjusting opacity when just selecting clips. I know things like that could happen fairly easily in FCP7. Regardless, it's much harder to get to now (too hard, I know)."

I've never seen this behavior. I can add clips all day long with the animation tab open.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 10, 2015 at 6:49:17 am

[Bret Williams] "I've never seen this behavior. I can add clips all day long with the animation tab open.
"

You must be misunderstanding me then. Because you cannot mark an IN and OUT on a clip in the browser and add it to the timeline in such a way that it appears with it's animation tab already open. Each clip is added to the timeline collapsed and if you want to see the animation tab, you have to select new clips and hit the shortcut (CTL+V). Existing clips in the timeline can have their animation tabs open when you add new clips, but the new clips won't come in with their tabs open.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2015 at 6:56:34 am

Ah, yes I did. But why would you think you could add them with their tabs open? Nothing else in X works that way. That's a clip by clip thing. Not a terrible idea though.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 9:03:24 am

I'm sure I knocked the opacity bar down a few times in Legacy without noticing, but I still find going to the Inspector clunky and the two step process to get to it in the timeline does slow me down a lot. The inability to control and drag keyframes in the Inspector makes adding keyframes there almost pointless to my way of thinking. (Unless you can and I still don't know about it).

A nice feature that I have requested more than once would be a shortcut command "show opacity bar" to take you straight there. I'm sure that's what we Show Video Animation the most for no?

Return to posts index

James Orphan
on Jun 10, 2015 at 12:56:58 pm
Last Edited By James Orphan on Jun 10, 2015 at 12:59:12 pm

Yea a shortcut key to 'show video opacity' would be perfect!
Again, the old FCP already had this in place. (You could show/hide the opacity level in the timeline, just like you could show/hide the audio waveforms). I imagine this was optional to help people avoid accidentally adjusting opacity levels when selecting clips. (As was mentioned above.)

I'm sure that reinstating such a useful feature would be a really easy thing for Apple to implement, and I really hope they do. Might send them a note...

Appreciate all the comments and advice! :D

Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:10:37 pm

Was there a toggle on and off command in FCP7 for Show Opacity line? I can't remember or was it just in preferences?

Return to posts index

James Orphan
on Jun 11, 2015 at 1:07:38 am

Yea there was a toggle on / off button (show / hide opacity levels) at the bottom left of the timeline / editor window (bottom-left of the screen).

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:44:53 pm

I can definitely say I hardly ever animate opacity. I do adjust it to taste in a multiple layer composite usually in conjunction with overlay or multiply modes. 99% of the time I use a dissolve to animate opacity. I utilize the animation bar to adjust Keyframes in time (usually position and scale) after I've added them via canvas in transform mode. I definitely wish they would add easing and bezier controls to the animation bar for other attributes other than opacity. But since they've mangled easing into the "smooth" control in the canvas they felt they didn't need to? It's all a bit of a mess for motion graphics that could be sorted out by having a send to motion command for more complex animation like we had in legacy.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:47:44 pm

I like to use the fade in handles a lot when making little title stings. Small scale compositing - nice to have the title fade in and out when it's on a different layer.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:59:34 pm

And why wouldn't you use a dissolve that has both a hot key and the ability to numerically change duration or drag out the duration all without ever opening the inspector?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:18:08 pm

[Bret Williams] "And why wouldn't you use a dissolve that has both a hot key and the ability to numerically change duration or drag out the duration all without ever opening the inspector?"

I really don't know. I just like doing it in the Video Animation window and adding keyframes if the basic handles don't do it. I should try dissolves guess. Just feels like more control but nobody probably notices the difference..

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:22:50 pm

I don't think anyone would notice because I don't think there is anything to notice. It's the same thing. And of course you can combine the two. For example If you have a graphic that is only going to be 80% opacity I'd set that in the inspector, and if you need to fade up on it I would dissolve into it. Anytime you can avoid key framing it's a good thing.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 4:11:10 pm

[Bret Williams] "I don't think anyone would notice because I don't think there is anything to notice. It's the same thing."

I'm not sure it is. With keyframes it can be more gradual or a curve. More like the handle fade options. Or no?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 10, 2015 at 7:25:38 pm

I suppose. But the curves just give you ease in, ease out, or ease in/out or linear. A standard dissolve (which you could copy and paste with an option drag) has the same easing controls and an additional ease amount slider. I think you get what you get with the curves. I never use anything but linear. Maybe I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:50:35 pm

[Bret Williams] "A standard dissolve (which you could copy and paste with an option drag) has the same easing controls and an additional ease amount slider. I think you get what you get with the curves"

No maybe I am. Really?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 11, 2015 at 6:44:17 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jun 11, 2015 at 6:48:24 am

I absolutely get that I may think I'm changing the "rate" at which the title fades up whereas a simple dissolve would do, if not an identical job, something that was almost identical in much less time.

It's just a question of habits with me.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 13, 2015 at 3:22:32 pm

[Bret Williams] "And why wouldn't you use a dissolve that has both a hot key and the ability to numerically change duration or drag out the duration all without ever opening the inspector?"

The more I think bouts the more i think you're right and I'm doing an unnecessary amount of fiddling with keyframes.

I suppose I'm a bit puzzled by the Ease In and Out in the Inspector because I can't quite "see" what it's doing in the same ay.

I think I'll change habits

Thanks for that.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 10, 2015 at 3:37:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "But why would you think you could add them with their tabs open? Nothing else in X works that way. That's a clip by clip thing. Not a terrible idea though."

I don't expect it. OP was bemoaning the ability to have easy access to an opacity bar and I was just illustrating that unfortunately X doesn't work that way.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]