FORUMS: list search recent posts

open in timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
open in timeline
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:28:38 pm

I opened a clip in its own timeline and then deleted the new timeline and the original clip was deleted so I had to reimport it. So should I dupe the clip before trying this again?

I don't usually create sequences in the browser but just wanted to try this approach out.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: open in timeline
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:17:41 am

[Craig Alan] "I opened a clip in its own timeline and then deleted the new timeline and the original clip was deleted so I had to reimport it. So should I dupe the clip before trying this again?"

Don't do this. Why did you delete it? The function of deleting is to remove audio and video essence from the master clip container. This is destructive as far as material inside the Library. Open In Timeline should be used only very sparingly. For example, you can rotate a shot that was upside down on a Steadicam and you'll be fine. However, syncing double-system sound inside the clip's own timeline can create tons of problems if you need to go out of FCP X for audio post.

[Craig Alan] "I don't usually create sequences in the browser"

You mean you don't create Projects (sequences) that you edit in? That's the proper way to use FCP X. How are you editing?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 7, 2015 at 3:20:02 am

[Oliver Peters] "You mean you don't create Projects (sequences) that you edit in? "

Of course I do. I was just experimenting with opening a clip in its own timeline, just to see what purpose it would serve, creating a sequence from a clip as a kind of pre-edited sequence. When I got done playing around. I deleted it cause I really didn't need it. Wasn't aware the original clip would be gone from the browser. When I delete a clip from a regular timeline, the original clip is still in the browser. In fact, I can delete an entire timeline and all the original clips are still in the browser. I figured it would work the same way. So was just wondering if I wanted to experiment with this feature, can I just dupe the original and create a new timeline that way. Was wondering if by creating a series of small sequences, I could then assemble them in a regular timeline. Obviously you're suggesting this is a misguided use of the feature and not its intent.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 7, 2015 at 6:50:57 am

The confusion you have is you thought you were opening a clip in its A timeline. You weren't doing that. You were opening the clip itself. Every clip in X is a timeline and you were just peering into the guts of the clip. So I guess removing it's innards left it with no reason to exist and it simply self destructed.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:56:29 pm

[Craig Alan] "So was just wondering if I wanted to experiment with this feature, can I just dupe the original and create a new timeline that way"

I think that's a very bad idea. You can do this sort of thing by editing within a compound clip. The better approach is to edit in a project as normal, then create a compound of the project. For your final assembly, string together the compounds into a master project.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 7, 2015 at 5:33:31 pm

So the only correct use of open in timeline would be a permanent change to a clip in the browser? Sinc those same changes can b applied in timeline I'm not sure of the point of the feature?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 5:44:13 pm

[Craig Alan] "Sinc those same changes can b applied in timeline I'm not sure of the point of the feature?"

The Open In Timeline when used on a master clip serves the same function as doing something to a master clip on the source side used to in FCP 7. For example, if your footage was shot in the low mode on a Steadicam, all your source clips will be upside down. Using Open In Timeline, you can quickly go through your source footage and add a rotation to make it right-side up. Now, every time you look at a source clip, it will look right instead of upside down. That's one example, where it's more useful to do it to the clip itself than to do it in the edited sequence.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 7, 2015 at 5:49:04 pm

However, making a duplicate of the master clip and editing inside the copy also works, but I'm not sure what ramifications that could have further into the edit. From personal experience, FCP X has burned me a number of times, when I've tried to use some of its versatility in ways that I had thought possible, but wasn't particularly the way a feature had been envisioned. Hence my caution replies.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:58:41 am

Thanks Oliver, I get it now.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2015 at 6:13:37 pm

I just wished all clips edited in FCPX (specially Audio Sync)can play nice via XML to other apps e.g. Premiere and Resolve.

The open in timeline is a great tool within FCPX, and use it all the time :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]