FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any filters worth trying to try and improve blown out audio? I know it's a mostly lost cause.....but anything lipstick for the pig?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Any filters worth trying to try and improve blown out audio? I know it's a mostly lost cause.....but anything lipstick for the pig?
on Jun 6, 2015 at 4:19:57 pm

I was recording an organ grinder, and unbeknownst to me the mic was too hot. The audio is blown out. I want to try and use it though. I know I can't change the fundamental fact it's blown out...but the music still sounds kind of pretty. I'm editing in FCP X and I'm wondering if there are any filters that might be useful?

Here's a sample of the audio: 8900_grinderaudio.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Any filters worth trying to try and improve blown out audio? I know it's a mostly lost cause.....but anything lipstick for the pig?
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:20:52 pm

The motion played back as if there was speed change?

Are there different channels of audio in the inspector? If so you might try turning off one or the other. Our P2 cams always record the onboard mike even when we use externals. They are a nice safety net but need to turn off those channels most of the time.

You might want to download that music or something similar from another source and just attach it.

Personally I think it kinda fits the visual as is. You might want to play around with the equalizer and see if you can make it a bit sweeter.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Any filters worth trying to try and improve blown out audio? I know it's a mostly lost cause.....but anything lipstick for the pig?
on Jun 7, 2015 at 2:12:43 am

As you may know, blown out audio is very difficult to fix because the waveform is clipped. That is essentially lost information. Just reducing the level in post doesn't fix the clipped waveform. Izotope RX4 can de-clip those cases by analyzing the waveform and attempting to reconstruct the lost information.

I used it last week on a similar situation and it worked fairly well. It wasn't perfect but the audio was significantly improved. The downside is it's expensive. However you don't need the (even more) costly Advanced version for de-clipping as the regular version has that feature.

Obviously the real solution is get the levels right in the field but sometimes this doesn't happen, you can't reshoot and the only option is fix it or discard the material.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:20:06 pm

Another vote for Izotope here.

However, if you can't afford izotope, I have a crazy linear-thinking solution for you.

Download something like this, there are numerous choices:

http://www.musica.at/audio2midi/

This will "listen" to the blown-out music and save it as a MIDI file of music notation. Take that MIDI file and play it in Apple Garage Band with an appropriate organ or maybe accordion preset, or several tracks of whatever seems right, export that, and BAM, you'll have a "clean" version of the same original tune, with levels you can control.

From there, do a complete substitution, or mix it in with some ambiance from the original recording, in synch.

Or hire THIS guy:-)

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02:42 pm

I have a friend with iZotope who will let me use his computer. What's the process I want to try and use to fix it in the program?

Return to posts index

Ryan Frias
on Sep 5, 2015 at 10:04:33 pm

That's great you find someone that has iZotope. Here's a tutorial on what you need to do:

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 6, 2015 at 2:03:30 am

Wow. That program is amazing. Just jaw dropping. Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:16:14 am

What's the best work flow from FCP X for this? Right now, I'm applying the range tool to the clip I'm fixing, exporting the clip as an AAC file, fixing it in Izotope, exporting it as an AIFF, and bringing it back as a secondary audio clip in FCP X. Is that be best way? Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]