FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming in FCPX and finding the File name

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sony Sasankan
Renaming in FCPX and finding the File name
on Jun 5, 2015 at 6:18:00 pm

Im not sure if I screwed up or if there is a solution. But I am new to FCPX and need help.

So here I was with a LOT of talking head bytes of the same fellow... so you can imagine the thumbnails all look the same. I was happily renaming the clips (in FCPX) with a single word that I can identify as a topic of what that byte was about (History, journey, crisis, etc). Now down the line, im beginning to get instructions (from the producer/director who has a copy of the footage as well) like use this line from this file (Original file name), etc.

I just assumed the original file name would be indexed by FCPX and show up in a search no matter what I name the clips. Unfortunately this is not the case. If I rename MVI_1043 to "Family", searching for 1043 brings up nothing.... though "Family" is linked to he file "MVI_1043" in finder. I looked at the Info panel and saw there was no mention of the original file name.

So currently im now forced to go to finder, play back the clip, have a rough idea what I would name it on FCPX and hopefully find it there. It works in most cases, but as you can see, this is a very ineffecient process... and at this point, dont even care about the custom names I gave. If there is some way that the clips can be reverted back to their original file names, it would make my life so much easier.

I did not find any info regarding this in any other forums.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Renaming in FCPX and finding the File name
on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:25:17 pm

[Sony Sasankan] "I looked at the Info panel and saw there was no mention of the original file name."

There is a way to apply a custom name to clips including the filename, not my forte though. In the meantime, in the Inspector info pane, you can add the Filename to view list by choosing Edit Metadata View from the bottom left drop down menu. At least that'll give you a place to look. I'm sure there's a way to get that info into the browser so it's searchable, I just don't do it enough to know what it is...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Sony Sasankan
Re: Renaming in FCPX and finding the File name
on Jun 5, 2015 at 11:49:21 pm

Ah yes... I was able to add the "Display name" or "File Name" field in the inspector panel and sure enough it showed the file name. Its still not searchable though, but its a start. Atleast I can avoid the whole going to finder and playing back everything manually workflow and know at a glance from within FCPX itself if im looking at the right or wrong file.

You just saved me a lot of time. Thanks so much :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]