FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many compound clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Godwin
How many compound clips?
on Jun 1, 2015 at 7:39:20 pm

I've tended to avoid using compound clips, for the most part, because early on with FCPX they seemed to be causing some issues. I wondered what the current consensus might be on how stable and reliable they are?

For example, in a one minute piece, how many would you consider viable? How about in a 30 minute piece?

Appreciate any good info on this, I'd like to feel comfortable using them more often.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How many compound clips?
on Jun 1, 2015 at 8:57:01 pm

I e always made use of compound clips as needed as it's been a long time since that has caused me an noticeable issues. I think the only thing to be wary of is nesting compound clips inside compound clips and getting too many levels deep.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 1, 2015 at 10:27:05 pm

I use them for designing complex visual effects composites or big sound design. Generally speaking if you are leaning on them too much you are probably not maximizing FCPX's most efficient ways of workflow- in my opinion. That said, performance-wise they are pretty solid these days.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 2, 2015 at 1:20:09 am

Like Noah I use them all the time for visual fx. And quite often. The reason they were bogging some down initially was whenever you split a compound, it created a whole separate instance. Ditto on duplicating one. So if you had a complicated compound and then sliced it all up for effect or editing, each slice was referencing a new compound (or something like that.) that changed when they changed the way compounds work in 10.1 or even earlier. Been a non-issue for years.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 3, 2015 at 7:01:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I've been using them more the last day or two and no issues, which I couldn't afford right now.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 6, 2015 at 8:25:53 pm

Noah, without asking for a huge tutorial could you list some techniques that are a better use of FC's features than compounding? Or an example of using a different function instead of a compound.

Just curious what you meant by this.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]