FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best FCP training for intermediate user?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
Best FCP training for intermediate user?
on May 30, 2015 at 9:10:42 am

Hi folks!

The good news is, I keep getting editing work. The bad news is, I've been using FCP intuitively for a long time (version 6 since 2005, now version X for about a year) and I suspect that there is a lot I don't know about, or know how to do. I just learned it by using it for about ten years, which means my skills are limited to my needs, and I'm not sure how to grow in the program or what I'm unaware of. I'm not even sure where my holes are. But judging from how little I understand on this forum with the more technical discussions, or how scared I get when I something happens on my timeline that I don't understand, I have a lot of holes.

Can anyone recommend good training programs for FCPX for people who are not complete beginners? Or, at least, a pretty complete program so that I can move forward in my program use and grow into an advanced user?

I really appreciate it!
Jenn Lindsay

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best FCP training for intermediate user?
on May 31, 2015 at 12:04:52 am

Lynda and/or Ripple would be my suggestions.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 31, 2015 at 1:54:37 am

I like Tom Wolsky for books (FCP X beyond the basics). And ripple training for video demos. They are both detailed and clear and professional backgrounds show. They discuss why you would do something not just the step by step.

FCP X has some features which if you accidentally engaged can shock you. But usually there is some hint in the interface as to what you triggered. Knowing the vocab helps. You can always grab a screenshot and post it and say hey what is this called. Once you know that its easy to do a search to use it or get back home. Very little is destructive and command Z undoes everything in the order you applied it.

The first thing you might try that will get rid of the panic: go through the help document built into FCP X. It covers all the basics and features. From there you know what to search for if you want more depth. You can also download it onto an iPad and that way you can leave it open as you work in FC.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on May 31, 2015 at 4:04:38 am

Hi Jenn,
I am a long time editor who just switched to X. Well, X and PrPro CC actually. For X the best tutorial would be Ripple Training's. Got me started real quick. And X is one app for which you really need a tutorial, you can't just jump into it like how you can with PrPro. Am loving both the apps:)

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 31, 2015 at 2:52:20 pm

[Jenn Lindsay] "Can anyone recommend good training programs for FCPX for people who are not complete beginners?"
Jenn, Here's the problem... with no formal training, you have no idea if you fully understand the basics or not and no one knows what holes you have in your knowledge (including you) so at what point does "intermediate" training start?

I had the same problem and I forced myself to start from scratch with Ripple Training and darned if I didn't learn a few basic things that I was doing wrong or didn't even know about that I wouldn't have learned if I started with "intermediate" training. Unfortunately the only way to fill in the gaps in your knowledge is to start over and absorb everything again. What I liked about Ripple Training is that it came with sample media and you could follow along. That really helps solidify the concepts by doing them along with the tutorial. It's also excellent training. Yes it was painful to start from the beginning but we're only talking about a few hours of beginner training before you get into the stuff that you don't know and then you have a solid foundation to build on.

Ripple Training has a pretty comprehensive set of advanced tutorials that focus on different topics once you have the basics down. I particularly liked their Media Management training. Not an exciting topic but a necessary evil that must be well understood. So Ripple Training help me get started quickly and I can highly recommend them and I'm a trainer myself, I create Boris TV episodes for Boris Continuum Complete for both FCP X and Sony Vegas Pro, and I've done training for VASST on Sony Vegas Pro and DVD Architect Pro in the past so I'm kind of critical of trainers being one myself. Ripple Training is top notch!

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 31, 2015 at 9:02:23 pm

Ripple first, Lynda.com soon after that.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:40:38 am

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I will start at the beginning with Ripple as recommended :)

Jenn

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]