FORUMS: list search recent posts

Warning: Problem with Seagate 1TB Portable USB Drives and Transferring Media from New MACPRO

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
Warning: Problem with Seagate 1TB Portable USB Drives and Transferring Media from New MACPRO
on May 30, 2015 at 2:06:46 am

This is not a specific FCPX topic, but thought it might help many FCPX Users working on new Macpros

I've been using the inexpensive Costco Seagate 1TB drives to send clients footage and backing up on my own drives (Gtech Mini Drives) as a backup for the client. I usually use my Mac Book Pro for this, but the other day I had to upload the client backup to my MACPRO (8core) via my Thunderbolt 2 Promise Raid. All was good until I decided to transfer the files back to one of the Seagate Drives from Costco. I formatted the drive as a Mac OS Extended via Disk Utility, but the files would not transfer. I received the Error -50 message and the transfer would not work. I even tried a very small PDF file with no luck. Reformatted several times.... changes cables....changed Seagate drives ...no luck. As a test I hooked up one of my GTECH Mini drives and all the files transferred with no problem. Not sure what's going on here, but thought I would pass it on in case someone else is planning to use these drives to output media from the new MACPRO.

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Warning: Problem with Seagate 1TB Portable USB Drives and Transferring Media from New MACPRO
on May 30, 2015 at 7:32:29 pm

I rely on CostCo more for cheap hot dogs and pizza in all honesty.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Warning: Problem with Seagate 1TB Portable USB Drives and Transferring Media from New MACPRO
on May 31, 2015 at 7:17:04 pm

Honestly what does any of this have to do with Costco or the nMP? The beauty of Costco is you can walk in and take it back with absolutley no hassle. But isn't the issue here that a seagate drive failed (and they're not exactly known for reliability these days). And I'm pretty sure the same thing could've happened on an iMac or laptop. If I got my seagate portable from Amazon and I have an iMac I have nothing to worry about? :)

Coke and a slice for $1.50. Can't beat that. Maybe at Ikea.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2015 at 7:47:43 pm

This happened on one of the drives or all of the Seagate drives?

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jun 2, 2015 at 2:16:09 am

The problem was with all the seagate 1tb drives I had, but only coming from the new Mac Pro..... They work when transferring via usb3 from card readers connected via a MacBook pro. The Gtech drives work in both configurations.

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:43:16 pm

You could try reformatting them again, but take a few extra steps in Disk Utility once the drive is mounted:

1. Select the device (not the volume)
2. Go to the Partition tab, and for layout select '1 Partition'
3. Click the Options... button below the partition map and select GUID
4. Name your volume and set Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Might help, might not. Worth a try for 30 seconds of effort, though.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:13:04 pm

Thanks Doug, I'll give that a try.

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]