FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thumbnails disappearing; not rebuilding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bonner
Thumbnails disappearing; not rebuilding
on May 29, 2015 at 3:11:26 pm

I am having a really annoying problem in 10.2. Thumbnails in the browser will initially build, but when I scroll down to view additional clips, then scroll back (to clips previously with thumbnails), the thumbnails disappear. I can get them to "force" rebuild by trashing the cache and reopening the app. But, usually at some point I will lose the thumbnails again. Anyone else seeing this?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Thumbnails disappearing; not rebuilding
on May 29, 2015 at 5:28:21 pm

I'd do a preferences reset and clear out renders.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mike Bonner
on May 29, 2015 at 5:46:55 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention:
I deleted the cache, trashed preferences, and trashed plists.
I also see now that I have a few clips in a multicam clip that show up black, playback black, but audio is audible. Original clips play fine in the Finder.
Ugh.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 29, 2015 at 6:24:04 pm

I'd try deleting the FCPX app and redownloading from the App Store.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mike Bonner
on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:19:48 am

Very strange. Like I said, I had problems with disappearing thumbnails. I use two identical drives that I will work off of from work and at home, transferring the library whenever I make a change. The project at my work machine didn't experience any problems, but my portable drive gave me the problems I described. As a test I plugged my portable drive into my work computer, and low and behold, there were two clips that came up black. Checking the files in the finder, they played back fine. I tried reconnecting, deleting and replacing, trashing the cache, but each time they would come up black. Finally, I copied the event into a new library, and they were back. This is discouraging because I had a problem on a different project exporting, and it too was solved by creating a new library. So, libraries corrupting? But, this seems strange as I delete and replace the old library everyday just before going home.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:31:36 pm

Hmmm... that is a bit strange. Two questions:

Are both drives formatted the same?

Are both drives ignoring ownership? Sometimes plugging in a drive to a different machine can cause this setting to become unchecked - not sure why.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Mike Bonner
on Jun 2, 2015 at 5:16:27 pm

Yeah, both Mac Extended Journaled, both ignoring ownership.
I am reformatting the portable drive and repopulating. See if that helps.

Return to posts index

Bernat Garrigos
on Jul 17, 2016 at 12:06:31 pm

Mike,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you finally solve it?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 17, 2016 at 11:19:19 pm

I also had the same problem. In my case Spotlight indexing was disabled on the media drive. When I re-enabled this and allowed time for the indexes to rebuild, FCPX browser thumbnail generation became much faster on large events.

Disabling Spotlight on media drives is a common recommendation and maybe a good idea in some cases. However for very large events with thousands of clips, it appears Spotlight somehow accelerates thumbnail generation. I think it's ultimately a bug in FCPX since thumbnail generation would not just slow down, but would stop completely unless Spotlight was enabled.

There is still some initial lag on huge events (7000+ clips), and Activity Monitor indicates very high I/O rate (15,000 I/Os per sec on my 16TB RAID) but after they are generated it is very fast, even after selecting different thumbnail heights. If I select longer thumbnails (not just single frame) those must generate as I scroll down, but afterwards it remains fast -- even after rebooting.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell FCPX to proactively generate them -- you have to scroll down. The UI is somehow sending messages to the thumbnail generation thread. This is probably an optimization to avoid a lengthy thumbnail/preview generation period as with LightRoom, etc.

There may be multiple causes of this behavior. I first tried deleting the thumbnail files in the Library, which did not help. In my case it was unique to thumbnail mode in the Event Browser -- list mode never had any problem, and thumbnails always appeared in the timeline.

I have 7,000+ clips (many 4k H264) and over 4TB in one event on a top-spec 2015 iMac 27 and 16TB Thunderbay 4, and it works very well. It is amazingly fast after the thumbnails are generated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]