FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Intuos Pen & Touch with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Using Intuos Pen & Touch with FCPX
on May 27, 2015 at 2:55:33 pm

I've been using the Magic Trackpad as an input device on my 2013 Mac Pro and it's been great. Now trying the Intuos Pen & Touch (Small). Working great so far but with the Magic Trackpad I could pinch to zoom the timeline. Although the P&T has the pinch zoom enabled it won't work on my FCPX timeline. Anyone using the Intros Pen & Touch and, if so, do you have any tips?

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
Re: Using Intuos Pen & Touch with FCPX
on May 27, 2015 at 7:21:20 pm

Hi Don,

I've been editing for years using various tablets, including the Intuous range although mainly PC and some FCP legacy and just love it. I've little experience of FCPX and none of navigating the timeline with it but I just set up easy keyboard shortcuts for zooming in and out of the TL.

One small point I'll mention is that I like using the pen like a pencil, resting the side of my hand on the tablet surface, using only small movements of the pen. I set this up in the tablet driver software using their mapping facility to map only a small, top left hand corner area, of the tablet to the whole screen. Works well for me.

Another thing you could do is assign one of the hardware controls on the Wacom, like the rotary controller on the Intuous4, to zoom in and out of the timeline.

Cheers Alan

XdcamEx & HD, C300, DSLRs, all sorts of production & post gear and a very untidy desk. On the East Coast of the UK

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 27, 2015 at 8:54:16 pm

Thank you for that feedback Alan. The Intuos Pen & Touch has great potential but in addition to not being able to zoom the timeline with a pinch (or reverse pinch) the tablet instantly releases when you take your fingers off. You might think that's a good thing but with the Magic Trackpad I will often drag a file from a Finder window on the right side of the right monitor all the way across to the left side of the left monitor. The Magic Trackpad will 'hold' my drag for a beat, time enough to reset my fingers to finish the move. I can find no way on the Pen & Touch to have it hold like that. The Preferences has a way to configure for Final Cut Pro X but that doesn't solve either of my two concerns. However, the Pen part of the pad looks like something I want to learn and it was great to hear your experience on that. Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on May 28, 2015 at 8:29:43 am

Only replying so I can subscribe to this.

i have the intous pro and not got around to setting it up..just rushing out to catch a flight. Will try more later with the tablet and FCP X but interested to see what this thread brings up in the way f hints

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on May 28, 2015 at 9:53:32 am

Pleasure Don and good luck.

I was brought up using a tablet instead of a mouse right from the start. We had a DOS based graphics workstation called a SpaceWard SuperNova, a sort of poor mans Quantel Paintbox. It had a tethered pen and large tablet with all the controls spread around it. Based on a Pluto board and great fun to use. The real challenge was that Pluto was only 8 bit output but accessing a 24bit lookup table. As far as I remember the whole unit cost over £125k, how things have changed.

Alan

XdcamEx & HD, C300, DSLRs, all sorts of production & post gear and a very untidy desk. On the East Coast of the UK

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 28, 2015 at 11:47:12 am

Don, what about assigning zoom to the eraser end of the stylus? Unless you're using the eraser to delete clips with:-)

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 28, 2015 at 2:45:38 pm

Hi Mark.. Does assigning the zoom to the eraser also provide the other direction (zoom out)?

The Intuos Pen & Touch is supposed to be used either with a pen or just with touch like a Magic Trackpad. Of course you can mix the two techniques at the same time but I was trying to establish the P&T to duplicate the functions on my Magic Trackpad before graduating to learn how to use the pen. I'm hoping someone reading this thread will have experience using the P&T with FCPX.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]