FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfer Libraries

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Transfer Libraries
on May 26, 2015 at 10:41:31 am

In a bit of muddle.

I have a back up library on an external drive. I would like to copy just 6 projects onto the external drive from my library located on my hard drive so I can take the projects with me and work on my laptop.

So I create a Transfer Library and copy the projects to the Transfer Library. (Uncheck optimised and proxy media)

Then I close FCPX and physically drag the Transfer Library from HD to the external drive,

Then If I remember rightly I open both Libraries and move the projects from the transfer library to the Duplicate library and delete the now empty transfer Library?

What is odd is it still creates a 5GB Library even though there should be very little in it.

I'm doing something wrong.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Transfer Libraries
on May 26, 2015 at 4:52:07 pm

Make sure you're not getting thrown off by hard links- http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/What-Are-Aliases-Symbolic-Links-And-Hard-Li...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 31, 2015 at 11:59:18 pm

Little confused myself.

right click on the newly created library on your external to see contents.
command-i to see size.

If you have 6 projects you still need the media that the project's reference, correct?

Doesn't take a lot of media to get up to 5 gigs.

I assume the back up drive has the media?

Why do you need to create a "transfer library" before making a library on a different drive?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12766?locale=en_US

Open up the new library, select the library, and in the inspector consolidate the media in the location you want it stored.
Then in the original media folder in the library in the finder it should show alias files.

Personally I like to have only one "project" per library. Sometimes I have more than one FC project (timeline) in that library if it's for same "project".

This makes backing up and transferring each project pretty easy. And if the library gets corrupted I only corrupt one project not all. CCC does a great job of cloning libraries. Treats them like any other folder - just updates the changes made. Very fast. Easy way to go back and forth on a project that is housed on different drives.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 1, 2015 at 12:05:42 am

Thanks Craig,

I have the Library duplicated on another drive with all the media on it.

This project (sorry this "job") consists of 9 different swimming clips of particular drills with lots of shots used on more than one Timeline/"project" so I really need them all in the same library

I should be able to create a new Library and copy the timeline/projects into it and then copy that Library to the external drive and copy the Timeline/projects in to the duplicate library no and then take the drive with me and a laptop and all systems go?

But the media does not seem to reconnect as I hoped it would.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 1, 2015 at 12:46:27 am

What happens when you try to manually reconnect the media?

One thing you could try is to go to the home library which is working and consolidate the media into the library itself. Dupe that and all should be connected. You could always consolidate the media out of the library after making the transfer. My guess is that the original library that you are copying references the media on the home media drive and therefore doesn't recognize the media on the back up.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 1, 2015 at 12:57:36 am

What happens when you try to manually reconnect the media?

One thing you could try is to go to the home library which is working and consolidate the media into the library itself. Dupe that and all should be connected. You could always consolidate the media out of the library after making the transfer. My guess is that the original library that you are coming looks for the media on the first drive and therefore does;t recognize the media as being from the back up.

this is exactly my understanding:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/37132

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]