FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merging Projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Fowler
Merging Projects
on May 22, 2015 at 8:04:07 pm

Hi,
I have been using FCP X a number of years now starting with FXP Express i think it was.

In that i use to be able to merge two or three projects to make one, or was is my mistake that i did.

I have been trying to do the same with FCPX but haveing no luck.

My question is can i do it in FCPX or not and if i can how do i do it.

I have searched lots of forums but no joy as of yet.

Make an old man happy tell if i can or can't.

Ever way i will be happy.

Thanks

Harry.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Merging Projects
on May 22, 2015 at 8:17:59 pm

Not sure what you mean- there was not a way to do this in FCP before. You can always copy and paste elements from one timeline to another or use Compound Clips. But merging specific projects would be a problem anyway because what happens to conflicting edits?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on May 22, 2015 at 8:39:41 pm

As Noah said, you'll need to be a bit more descriptive about what you've got, and where you're trying to go with it.

We've got Library files that are visible in the Finder - these are what FCP X opens. You can have one or many open at once.

Inside the Library, you have Events. Events contain your media files (or references thereto), and Projects (which are essentially timelines).

Moving stuff around is as simple as drag 'n drop, but you need to do it inside of FCP X. Do NOT modify the Library packages in the Finder. Having said that, once inside FCP X you can drag Events from one open Library to another, and you can drag Projects (timelines) from one Event to another... even if those Events are in different Libraries. This will create copies, so a little bit of cleanup will be necessary if your intent is to move items from one place to another.

I've used FCP Legacy and Express for 10 years, and have been using FCP X daily for over 3 years - I don't recall any function that would merge timelines.

So, Harry... what are you trying to do, exactly?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Allan Fowler
on May 23, 2015 at 8:02:05 am

HI,
Thanks for a quick reply.
The problum started with a new camera i normally use a Canon XH/G1 and have now be using a Canon HF G30. Reason will be on a trip to India and the XH/G1 is to heavy for an old man.

I like to keep all my cassettes just in case i need them. Have a few now he he. With the G30 as it uses SD cards that was no longer an option had to re think.

Decided to make short 10minute projects of the place i had visited. ( thats all i do make shor videos of Travel trips for personal use) With original video not longer then about 45 minutes that was fine to save on a DVD before editing. Great i thought.

Made 4 or 5 projects and then tried to joine the in one Project but was unable to do it. From what other folks have said i will not be able to.

I will now copy each project to a folder ( Called my burn folder) and the burne all the projects on one disc.

A long winded way of doing it but hope it works.

Thanks for al help.

Harry

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 24, 2015 at 12:53:55 am

[Allan Fowler] "Made 4 or 5 projects and then tried to joine the in one Project but was unable to do it. From what other folks have said i will not be able to."
Here is one possible workflow:

Do this to each of the projects that you want to join:
  1. Right-click the project in the browser and select Duplicate Project (⌘D)
  2. Double-click the duplicate project to open it
  3. In the duplicated project select everything with Command + A (⌘A)
  4. Right click a selected clip on the timeline and choose New Compound Clip... (Alt+G)
  5. Optionally give it a name
  6. Delete the copy of the project, it's no longer needed (it's only purpose was to make the compound clip).
What you will end up with is compound clips that represent the entire contents of your smaller projects. Now you can create a new "master" project, drop all of the compound clips into it back to back, and render it as the one long project that you actually wanted.

The best part about this is that you can still open the compound clips in the timeline and change them if you'd like. It's like having nested projects.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Allan Fowler
on May 24, 2015 at 8:05:29 am

Hi,
What a gentleman you are Thank you very much and i will try that later on today. I will let you know and i think others will also find this helpful.

Thank You

A HAPPY OAP

Harry

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 24, 2015 at 5:14:12 pm

You're welcome. Yea, let us know how you make out. I tried it before suggesting it and it seems like it should work nicely.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]