FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor X question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
compressor X question
on May 21, 2015 at 10:40:38 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to post this... but I don't see a Compressor forum.

I have files that are DVCPro HD with 4 channel 16 bit audio . (mix ch 1-2, M&E 3 - 4)

I want to convert these to Prores.. (not the problem) and convert the audio to 24bit audio (please don't ask why) without changing the content of each track.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this. It seems to want to convert my file to a stereo file. If I ask for a 4 -channel output it blends the 4 tracks into one mono track plus 3 empty tracks. If I did not need to convert the audio I'd just do an audio pass-though. But alas...

Could anyone enlighten me on the proper technique..

thanks

Jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: compressor X question
on May 21, 2015 at 10:57:44 pm

My mistake... it creates one stereo channel and two blank channels..

j.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on May 22, 2015 at 3:59:57 pm

If you check Compressor's audio inspector for the file, you'll notice it sees the 4 channels all assigned to Center... I did a quick test modifying those settings, changing each to a discrete track:

...and then selected 4.0 24bit on the output. This appears to do the right thing, but the metadata in the output file may cause other issues.

Alternatively, with QT Pro 7 direct export you can specify 4 discreet channels for output:

Neither of these options are 'batch' options, though you could use a folder action or AppleScript for the QT7 method. In Compressor, you have to modify each file individually so large batches would get tedious in a hurry.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 24, 2015 at 5:45:52 pm

Thanks Doug.

The compressor settings got me closer... I did what you suggest and assigned the channels of the source file. When I create a setting for my encode the only choice one gets for an output format that has four channels is "4.0 (L R C CS)" and when I use that channels one and two are correct ( full mix 1 and 2 ) channel 3 is blank and channel 4 has the correct M&E (at least i think it is correct but I suppose it might be ch 3 and 4 mixed??).. funny that they don't allow you more control over the output format for audio.

I don't have quicktime 7 pro.. will try to dig up a copy of that somewhere...

thanks for your help it's appreciated.

jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 24, 2015 at 6:01:54 pm

I think I found the cheat.. I assign the 4 input tracks as left, right, centre and centre surround, then select 4.0 as the output...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]