FORUMS: list search recent posts

How should I think about importing 3TB's worth of AVCHD footage into FCP X for a long term project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How should I think about importing 3TB's worth of AVCHD footage into FCP X for a long term project?
on May 21, 2015 at 2:46:21 pm

I've been playing with X....and I'm about ready to start logging and editing a feature doc with it. Woot! It's grown on me.

I have 3TB of AVCHD cards (I've copied them with complete file structures to fit on two external hard drives) and I want to import it all. One important catch is much of it was unfortunately shot in 60i when I thought I was shooting 24p. A few questions I'd like feedback on:

1 - Should I import it all as optimized media given the fact I'll be converting much of the 60i to 24p (either with Twixtor, MPeg Streamclip or in FCP X itself)? I don't plan on doing much color grading. But I also want it to look as good as possible.

2 - I know that this footage will be huge so I'll be using a RAID set-up. One thing I'm also thinking is convert all the footage to proxy and then optimize it when I'm finally done with the project in a year so I'm only optimizing the footage I need? This would mean fewer internal hard drives to buy for the Drobo.

Thoughts on this? Any advice would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How should I think about importing 3TB's worth of AVCHD footage into FCP X for a long term project?
on May 21, 2015 at 4:42:36 pm

If you're going to convert the 60i footage, do it before importing to save hassle. Unless there's just too much of it. But if you wait to convert until you've got a cut, well, that way lies headaches in any NLE.

Since you're doing a doc, and typically those have a much larger shoot to edit usage than other types of media, I would convert your AVCHD to proxy only and then manage the project after, converting only the used clips to ProRes for final. It'll save space on your RAID, still looks good enough to cut with, and the lower bandwidth requirements will give you better performance overall with as much media as you've got going. Especially if you're using an underpowered mac to cut with.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: How should I think about importing 3TB's worth of AVCHD footage into FCP X for a long term project?
on May 21, 2015 at 5:40:41 pm

Given the fact I'll be converting it......would you still say go proxy, convert it, and then optimize whatever i actually use at the end?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 21, 2015 at 5:53:53 pm

Convert first. Then create proxies and optimize at the end so that the pro res is built from the converted files and not the original 60i footage.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 21, 2015 at 7:28:59 pm

You think i should convert it via another program like MPEG Streamclip rather than letting FCP X do it by making my timeline 24 fps?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on May 23, 2015 at 11:04:55 am
Last Edited By Sam Lee on May 23, 2015 at 11:11:06 am

Yes. FCP 10.2's handling of native AVCHD, AVC-I 100 (P2) is pretty bad. You can import them all fine but when it comes to relinking, good luck. It's poorly handled and implemented. I hope 10.3 solve this but don't count on it. Try it for yourself. Import a native AVCHD cam master. Rename the hdd volume or move it elsewhere and see if you can relink by pointing to that AVCHD folder. There are workarounds but it's excruciating slow.

I learned that the hard way recently and had to rewrap all native AVCHD and AVC-I 100 to ProRes via FCP 7 log & xfer after the fact. From there, it FCP 10.2 had no problem in handling Pro Res media. Relinking is a snap like it should be.

There are issues with proxy and optimized media when you use 3rd party plug ins. It's best to Log & Transfer or convert it to Pro Res on AVCHD as a tangible .MOV file and not some odd AVCHD cam orig master that OS X hides all of its subfolder. FCP 10.2 seems to prefer straightforward .MOV media than camera native. I don't trust camera archive method either. .MOV files have been the most trouble free workflow for me for past couple years w/ FCP X. Whatever it's, FCP X will take your native AVCHD and convert it to Pro Res into its library.bundle whether you like it or not. I rather do it on my end first and I can use that .MOV file for other apps like After FX.

Return to posts index

William Streeter
on May 23, 2015 at 9:46:48 pm

I'm gonna be the guy to tell you to do it completely differently. AVCHD has to be rewrapped in movs by FCPX on import--it's the default behavior when handling that format. If you want to store your media externally just set your external storage destination before you import the footage. Keep clones of your cards on another disk and set your FCPX project backups somewhere else too. That way if your drive dies you can still recover fairly quickly. NOT optimizing your media at the beginning will save lots of space. And the rewrapped AVCHD as MOV files will be much smaller than proxy files anyway. And I wouldn't bother converting all the footage before you import--jesus talk about a hassle and lots of wasted time and CPU cycles. FCPX can do it as needed at any point in the process so just wait until you are done and do it at the end by changing your project to 24p and applying the deinterlace option while optimizing used clips only. Handling that much footage this way will give you peace of mind that if something goes sideways you can always reload all your footage from your card clones and restore from your backups. If you start converting footage outside of FCPX you'll never be able to manually relink all that footage.

Bill Streeter
Filmmaker
HydraulicPictures.com
BillStreeter.net

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 27, 2015 at 3:25:47 pm

William,

I hear what you're saying. My one hesitation is that I worry that if I use the H264 clips and do lots of keyfaming and/or color correction, when I then later import as optimized Pro Res that my changes will all look wonky. Thoughts? That was my original intention of going the Pro Res Proxy route, as I figured when I optimized things will still work the same.

Thanks for these thoughts guys!

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 29, 2015 at 6:36:02 pm

Also....and this might be the decisive factor for me....I haven't found a way to import in FCP X and have separate folders for each clip. They're all named right now "Clip 1, clip 2"....but since im importing 40 cards right, it's all messy in the event where they are stored. I'd love a different folder for each card in case i need to make changes or move things. Because of that, I might just import in FCP 7, have my Pro Res files in different folders, and then bring them all in FCP X.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 7, 2015 at 3:35:02 am

Copy your cards to labeled folders in the finder. This gives you a back up of all your media which can be stored on a separate drive. Then import the cards. Check Keywords by folder in the import window. In the browser you can use the gear to group clips by camera name which should then create groups in the browser based on the folder names in the finder.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]