FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX crashes when trying to update library to 10.2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hughes
FCPX crashes when trying to update library to 10.2
on May 18, 2015 at 8:41:57 pm

I have a library from October, 2014 that I need to access. Now that I'm on FCPX 10.2.1, released a few months ago, I need to update that library. This has not been a problem for any other libraries created in 10.1 thus far. But when I try to open this particular library, I click 'OK' to update, the library updates, opens the library (projects/media/etc. are visible) and then it crashes after about 1-2 seconds. By crash, I mean FCP quits with an error report message.

I have tried opening the original and backup versions of the project on different drives, I've deleted my preferences, rebooted, etc. Using the finder, I tried dragging the contents from the event in the library to a new library. When I do this, I'm able to open the media and compound clips from the original library, but I have no way of importing the original projects.

What I really need from this library are the projects. Is there a way to import projects from one library into another? Is there a way to revert FCP back to 10.1 other than using time machine? The file: CurrentVersion.flexolibrary seems to be the hurdle. Any way to work around this? Can anyone think of another way to troubleshoot this?

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012
Yosemite 10.10.3
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
FCP 10.2.1

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: FCPX crashes when trying to update library to 10.2
on May 18, 2015 at 8:55:18 pm

I had something like this happen. Fortunately I had a machine that wasn't upgraded and I used it to export an XML of the project. Did you archive a copy of FCP X before updating? You can try opening the library with that and exporting an XML of the project.

The issue in my case may have been footage that was in one format on one computer RAID but had not been updated on the other.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 18, 2015 at 9:06:58 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of FCP 10.1. Do you know if there is a way to create XML files without opening the library in FCP?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2015 at 11:09:04 pm

First open fcpx while holding the option key.

This will give you a dialog window. Click new to make a new library.

Let fcpx open all the way.

Now choose File > Open > (Your library that keeps crashing).

Does that work?

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 19, 2015 at 2:23:16 am

No dice.

As always, the update box appears, I choose to update the library, the update begins and is completed, then the library opens then it crashes immediately.

All I really need are the projects. Is there anyway to access them? I can access all my compound clips by dragging the library folders to a new library, but not the projects. So annoying!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2015 at 2:57:09 am

OK. One step at a time.

Do you get a crash report when this happens? Do you have any third party filters installed?

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 19, 2015 at 3:17:35 am

Yes I have a few filters installed. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2015 at 3:21:55 am

What filters. Do they have any updates for 10.2?

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 19, 2015 at 3:34:02 am

I have the following plugins and haven't found any updates for them.

Apply LUT
Alex4D Mask
Color Finale Trial
Drop Shadow
Flicker
RT Drop Shadow

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2015 at 3:48:05 am

my guess is either Color Finale or LUT Utility.

Color finale is updated through the Color Finale app. LUT Utility is updated by downloading and installing the latest trial.

http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 19, 2015 at 4:00:57 am

Updated both filters and it still crashed. I didn't use either of those filters in that library if it matters. They were installed after I last worked on that library.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2015 at 12:06:35 pm

Got ya. I should have been more specific. Are there any third party filters in the Library you are trying to update?

Also, is the media external or managed? Is the cache external or managed?

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 20, 2015 at 2:42:35 pm

Not trying to update any filters. I updated the filters that had updates available. Pretty sure I didn't use any third party filters in this library. If I did use, say the drop shadow filter, I have used that in many other libraries which have opened and updated just fine.

As with all my other libraries, the media is external and the cache is managed. Render files were deleted.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2015 at 2:47:35 pm

If the media is external, try to open the Library without the media drive attached.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hughes
on May 20, 2015 at 3:24:07 pm

Success! Thanks so much for your help! I'll go through everything later tonight to make sure there are no more issues.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2015 at 3:41:42 pm

Sorry this took so long, but there are a number of things that it could be, including a corrupt library. I find though, that a corrupt library is very very rare. In order to find the root issue, you have to go through a step by step process.

If the Library is opening without media, that should point to some sort of media corruption or mismatch.

The best thing to do would be to reconnect small groups of files and see if FCPX doesn't like a certain piece of media. Digital Rebellion also makes "corrupt clip finder" as part of pro maintenance tools which might help you: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/

Return to posts index

Austin Walk
on Jun 26, 2015 at 6:07:39 pm

Hey Jeremy,

I'm having the same issue as Ryan - although no external media was used. I have updated ALL my other libraries, but this one is being difficult. I do have a ton of plugins, but all my other libraries use them too, and updated fine.

I tried option opening, new library then chose the library and it seems like it gets further in the update, maybe even finishes the update, but as it loads one of the projects in the timeline, it will crash - every time. I initially thought it was just timing out cause my library was massive with lots of events, so i cleared all my rendered files... but still nothing. Any help would be AMAZING. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:19:58 pm

[Austin Walk] "I'm having the same issue as Ryan - although no external media was used."

So all of your media is in the Library?

Return to posts index

Austin Walk
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:21:25 pm

Yes, that's correct.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:24:22 pm

Do you have access to an older version of 10.1?

Return to posts index

Austin Walk
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:25:44 pm

Unfortunately I don't ... do you think it's an asset in the library that is causing the abort?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:38:31 pm

It very well could be. I was going to have you export an XML of the whole library, and then try and import that in to 10.2.

It would be best if you could get the media out of the library, and try and open it. How big is the library?

Also, I didn't see your crash report. Sometimes they help, sometimes not.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16:59 pm

Hey guys, a reminder that we can't have full crash reports posted here. If there are specific values that are helpful to look for, by all means, share them, but there is frequently code in them that breaks the code in the pages here. That was the case on this thread, so I disabled those posts.

Apologies for any obstacles that this creates for your problem solving journey, but it's not one we can work around.

Regards and best wishes nonetheless,

Tim Wilson
Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Hester Jonkhout
on Jul 29, 2015 at 10:26:05 pm

Ryan, did you find a solution to this problem ? I don't see one in the thread...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]