FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project seems to have slowed down after editing.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathryn Dwyer
Project seems to have slowed down after editing.
on May 17, 2015 at 2:20:55 pm

Im no expert in fcpx and need a little help with one issue. Ive made a short music video using multi cam clips. The audio was prerecorded and a mix down of this recording played during the filming of all clips, so the pre-recorded audio and the audio in the video should be identical. However I have finished the editing and my parter is trying to mix down the original pre recorded audio to match. However he has found that the timing is slightly different. As though through the editing process or perhaps exporting, my fcpx project has slowed down slightly. Is this a common problem? Perhaps because of using multi cam? Or when I exported (youtube)?
Cheers in advance!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Project seems to have slowed down after editing.
on May 17, 2015 at 11:45:12 pm

You have to realize that while for you and I, time is measured by the Earth revolving around the Sun, but for electronic devices, time is measured by a tiny quartz crystal embedded in the device. Some are more accurate while others and less accurate. I believe what you are experiencing is the fact that crystal that runs the clock in the cameras and the crystal that runs the clock on the audio recorder are slightly off. This is to be expected unless you genlock all recorders to an external world clock while recording. The way to fix this is to split your master audio clip whenever you hear it drifting and nudge it back into time. Then retime the section of the clip before it to end at the new starting point of the clip that you nudged. This should gently alter the playback rate to keep it all in sync.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kathryn Dwyer
on May 20, 2015 at 10:20:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, at the same time the key of the song has also changed. I don't want to use the audio from the actual video, so Ive already detached that and will delete it to attach the mp3 mix down of our prerecorded track. Also weird is that not the whole project has changed key and speed. My project has 7 different multi clips which are around 30 seconds of video. All tracks were recorded whilst playing the same mp3 master track all with same settings same camera at the same time. 2 of the clips have ended up fine with no timing or key change, with the others all slower and key dropped lower. Key doesn't matter since I'm not using the video audio at all, but Id rather not stretch my audio so I don't lose quality. In around 30 seconds, its slowing an extra 1-2 seconds. Do you think its the same problem you explained to me?

Return to posts index

Kathryn Dwyer
on May 20, 2015 at 11:17:02 am

Sorry, silly me. I had each section as a different project then put them all together. Didnt bother to check the frame rates coz i was sure i had them all set to 25, however a couple were 24, so I solved it now thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 20, 2015 at 11:35:15 am

[Kathryn Dwyer] "Didnt bother to check the frame rates coz i was sure i had them all set to 25, however a couple were 24"
Yea, I was going to say that the key change isn't from the clock crystals. lol. Glad you figure it out. Also, don't you have anything that's higher quality than an MP3? I would use an AIF file because they are uncompressed and will hold up better to retiming if needed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kathryn Dwyer
on May 20, 2015 at 11:23:31 pm

I actually played the audio directly from the garage band file. Anyway, twas a learning experience! Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]