So I've run into an obstacle round tripping from Davinci to FCPX to Davinci to FCPX with Magic Lantern RAW footage from a Canon 5D3.
My plan is to:
- Convert RAW files in RAWMagic
- Have Davinci assemble the DNG files into clips
- Change the master project setting to "using reel names from the source clip file pathname"
- Render the clips as proxies
- Import the proxies into FCPX
- Duplicate the project & remove sound + all the stuff Davinci can't handle from FCPX
- Export an XML
- Import the XML into a Davinci timeline and uncheck "automatically import source clips into media pool" (so that the edit is reassembled with the original RAW clips rather than proxies)
- Replace proxy clips with graded clips in original edit
- Work on sound/send to compressor
The issue I am having is that it seems that FCPX does no export reel information in the XML file, so Davinci won't unknowingly (if that's a way to put it) link the edit to the original raw dng clips.
Is there a way to work around this, or set FCPX to export the reel information, or is there a way to set Davinci to read the reel information from the XML?
It seems like this one little step is impeding this reasonably efficient workflow approach to using ML RAW. If there is a totally different way to go about this whole process I am missing, let me know. Answer will be HUGELY appreciated as I've been trying to answer this for days now.
Have you tried importing your RAW dng clips into the Resolve media pool BEFORE importing the XML (keep 'automatically import media clips into source pool' unchecked)? Once Resolve is aware of the clips, it should match them up with your XML.