FORUMS: list search recent posts

So many output options, either FCP X or Compressor, which to use for...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Paisnel
So many output options, either FCP X or Compressor, which to use for...
on May 9, 2015 at 5:55:47 pm

I have just finished a DVD ( after a month of edit, share as master, review and do again) style editing.

I'd always think , oK that seems OK in the timeline, but as soon as the project was finished /...it was not .

So any way , it was 8 nights of a Stage show, shot with a Canon 5D3, each night abut 100 or so clips.

Here is what I would like to do.

Just dump each nights clips in to a new timeline, one for each night. no edits no fades, t no effects, not even volume adjustments, just CMD-A each night, and drag to a new Project, then export

Not for showing on HD or for quality playback, just as a 'for the memory' copy of each night for the production staff and stage players. So they can see their cockups , fluffed lines etc .

I am guessing that something like 640 pixel is more than enough.
More importantly is getting a viewable quality on small screen, iPad/ laptop etc.

yes OK I could try multiple settings for each one, and see what seems best
each night is about 60Gb data in total as raw clips, bout 2hour 20 per night

I have Compressor and FCPX 10.1.4 can't go to 10.2, as I am still on 10.9.5

OK< i guess a burn via iDVD will compress it down to fit the space available, but that is yet another stage, If I can just use the Buitl in outputs or Compressor bundles...

Ideally to burn to a file or create a dog for each night, so i don't have to burn till the appear at my door with their blank DVD's

Any suggestions as to which pre set settings I can use

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: So many output options, either FCP X or Compressor, which to use for...
on May 9, 2015 at 7:04:25 pm

DVD's are at the end of their life cycle. I would output them digitally as H.264 at 720 p and 5 Mbits/s. What I typically use for Vimeo. The quality is much better than a burned DVD. You would have to try it to see if that is enough compression to make a few GB file. Then distribute with drop box or something.

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on May 9, 2015 at 7:12:07 pm

OK, thanks

Yes I never use DVD myself, but still many people ask of them.

OK, I an=m new FCP X. what output menu option would i use to get that? Just direct "Export File" or one of the presets ?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on May 9, 2015 at 7:20:23 pm

I like to use Send to Compressor and then compressor has many choices that are presetup. I think there is one for Vimeo, much like I described. You can also find one to make the MPEG2 files for a DVD. Then I dig out FC Studio and try to remember how to make a DVD. But that works.

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on May 9, 2015 at 7:25:32 pm

Umm yes compressor, los of options, and trying them all .all of the presets could take days.

I just tried the Export to file from FCP X and h264 and smallest size, still ends up with a 4gb file.

As i said, it is not really for strain g, so i suppose the size for upload not that relevant, but either way.1Gb or more is a bit much

Return to posts index

Kathy Murphy
on May 9, 2015 at 10:09:09 pm

I have been sending stuff via dropbox using the itunes export codec. Make it 720. Good quality and an hour long video came down to 850mb.

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on May 10, 2015 at 7:13:08 am
Last Edited By Neil Paisnel on May 10, 2015 at 7:20:02 am

Problem I am having after a bit or experimenting is that the smaller options for SD480p, to give me a small 640 size, which chop the output down to a nice compact 615MB are the Vimeo or Facebook options.

I can't seem to find a way to save this file locally

IF I use File Export, the smallest option is 854 x 480 and 1.5GB

EDIT: UPDATE...Compressor does it , I found the SD480 option, saving now, lets see what it gives

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]