FORUMS: list search recent posts

How often does autosave actually autosave?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How often does autosave actually autosave?
on May 7, 2015 at 1:54:57 pm

How frequently does autosave autosave? Is there a way to adjust the frequency of the backups?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How often does autosave actually autosave?
on May 7, 2015 at 2:44:33 pm

There isn't an auto save in the traditional sense. FCP X saves everything all the time. When you quit, and restart, you end up exactly where you left off. There is a project backup that occurs, but that's not an auto save. It's more of a safety valve in case there's a glitch with the normal operation of the program.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 7, 2015 at 2:48:35 pm

So how often does that safety valve happen? Yesterday I had my first shutdown of the program while editing, so I'm curious. In 7, I used to backup every two minutes for that reason. How often does X do it? More importantly, is it changeable?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 7, 2015 at 5:37:23 pm

[Noam Osband] "How often does X do it? More importantly, is it changeable?"

Everyone's best guess seems to be about 10-15 minutes if you've made changes. In practice, as Andy points out, it doesn't matter. You can pull the plug on your computer while you're editing and whatever you were doing when it shutdown will be there. However, things do occasionally blow up, so in addition to the built in backup I recommend something like Backups for FCP (on the app store) or Digital Rebellion Pro Versioner. I use both. :-)

I've needed to actually use a backup maybe once in 3 years, but I'm glad they were there. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 7, 2015 at 6:59:41 pm

Haven't had a need for backup restores ever. It just works...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 7, 2015 at 9:06:23 pm

If you just check the backups folder in your user>movies folder you can see all the backups. Or just go to file>open library>from backup and you'll see a list of that library's backups by time. Looks like every 15 min at the most if needed.

I always kept autosave off in FCP legacy. I didn't particularly want it to save when I might just have opened the project up to try something and I might rather quit without saving. Something you just can't do in X.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 11, 2015 at 4:58:00 pm

I realize my question was poorly worried. I'm more curious about how often it backups. More importantly, I don't see the option of changing how often it backups. Is that a changeable variable?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 12, 2015 at 12:54:37 am

Both Charlie and I answered the "how often" in quite considerable detail and then some. Did you not read our answers? Go back and read them.

No you can not change it. Don't know why. But as everyone has pointed out, there is no need for an every two minute backup as it is continually updated. But the backups are there in case of catastrophic file corruption.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 13, 2015 at 6:51:43 pm

OK. I get it. It was just hard for me conceptually to get idea it's constantly saving and so autosave backup folders aren't needed...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 13, 2015 at 7:45:55 pm

You're discussing two different things. There's no autosave backups. Autosave saves your file at every x minutes in case you forget to hit save often enough. This is not necessary nor possible in X because it's constantly updated. You can't save if you wanted to.

Backup is saving a time stamped copy of the library project. This works almost exactly like FCP legacy. Except I think you could specify the interval. In X it is either on or off. The interval is seemingly between 10 and 20 minutes IF something has changed. In my system it seems to be about every 15 minutes. And like time machine backups, X seems to delete older ones, leaving just one backup per day for older backups.

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on May 25, 2015 at 2:14:48 pm

Hey Bret, you were kind of an *ss in the way you responded to Noam. Not everyone has or knows the same information as you...or has the same learning curve as you. I was reading this thread and following exactly what everyone had asked or written...and Noam's question (and re-question about frequency) was completely legitimate. I was brought to this thread for the same reason. My computer crashed. FCPX DID NOT save where I last left off (like you and Charlie had INSISTED IT ALWAYS DOES) and I had to resort to restoring from my backup folder. It had only saved 15 minutes prior to the crash so I DID LOSE 15 MINS OF WORK. I am and have been, a network Editor for the past 22 years. And just because of that I would never talk down to anyone asking a question like you did. There are people out there just beginning just like there are seasoned Editors... You should treat everyone with respect. Even if they require a bit more help.

FCPX is supposed to be constantly always saving like you said. But yet, THERE IS A BACKUP FOLDER!?! Seems to me, it is there for a purpose as I just found out...(and regardless of how you word it, it IS the same thing as AUTOSAVE.) It only makes sense that there would be a way to dictate the frequency of backups. Too bad I would have to download an independent app to do so. Anyway, lighten up.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 25, 2015 at 9:23:42 pm

Sorry Jason, did not understand that on an all volunteer board that's been going strong for nearly 5 years, we needed proctors such as yourself to keep us in line. Look, people answer the way they want, when they want. Typically, it's helpful and positive. But sometimes not. People here occasionally get crabby. Each for our own reasons. Personally, I get tired of folks coming here and treating the board like it's their personal consultant. I'm happy to help anyone over a rough spot, but I also want to see them put their own effort in as well. I get disinterested when someone comes back day after day, week after week, with questions that appear to indicate that they are looking for not targeted help, but rather wide scale free training. Most of us here with lots of experience gathered it via trial and error. And again, I'll go a long way and put in a lot of effort to help anyone out of a specific problem. But after a few specific "tell me how do this step by step" posts, I just want to say RTFM or pay for some training like the rest of us. That's all. This is ME, not those above. They can speak for themselves.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on May 25, 2015 at 10:06:49 pm

Hi Bill, are you the same person as Bret? Confused as to why you answered me as opposed to Bret himself.. Maybe (like me) you just couldn't help it. : ) Look, I was not trying to start an argument. Although after re-reading my post, I clearly did. But I should not have said anything at all.... I don't come here too often. Just occasionally. It just gets to me that when I do (and you can pretty much find this on any post on any forum) is all this attitude from people as if these posters with questions are not worthy of help. Or are stupid, or how dare they ask this?? I just don't get it. If it upsets the users that have or know an answer to a particular question so much to offer it up, then why bother? Reading this one I guess just triggered something in me to respond. I don't think "you need proctors such as myself to keep you in line." I just think if certain users are too annoyed to help others/offer their solutions...then don't. No one is forcing them to. Most likely someone else will know the answer as well.
[Bill Davis] "Personally, I get tired of folks coming here and treating the board like it's their personal consultant. I'm happy to help anyone over a rough spot, but I also want to see them put their own effort in as well. I get disinterested when someone comes back day after day, week after week, with questions that appear to indicate that they are looking for not targeted help, but rather wide scale free training."
If that's how you feel, it's sounds like you're spending too much time on here. Why would someone be here "day after day, week after week"?? If it is your job, then it's just that... Your job. Don't take out your unhappiness with you job on your customers/clients/users (whatever you call them). If it's not your job to be here then.... lol I don't know what to tell ya! Maybe find something else to do?? lol

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 30, 2015 at 9:48:52 pm

could be wrong but the way I look at is this: if your library gets corrupted or you just want to go back in time to a previous version, the program auto backups every 15 min. the program also saves the most resent library on the fly. However either of these can have failures partly since they are most likely stored on the same media drive and any drive can get corrupted or fail. So good idea to have a clone on a different drive and even in a different location. You can also choose a different drive for the FCBack-ups to auto back up to.

Also it seems FC has unlimited undos (command-Z) However it will not undo things that happened in a previous session (that is you close the library).

Most of the time when I have had a glitch or FC quits or freezes, my last edit is saved and there when I relaunch the program. But not always. Still it works well enough that I think it's better than in FCP 7 days in which I was always saving.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]