FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy 4k RED Raw files, Neat Plugin, Downscaling....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Villeneuve
Noisy 4k RED Raw files, Neat Plugin, Downscaling....
on May 4, 2015 at 5:01:00 pm

Hey guys.

Omitting all the boring details of my life...

I have an FCPX (10.2) Library/project with a bunch of 4K RED RAW files. I'm only actually delivering in HD. Figured out the Red Plugin. Overall a painless process. However, I have a few shots that are very low-light and are noisy/grainer than I would like.

I think between Modify RED RAW settings button and Neat Video Noise plugin, I should be able to salvage the footage. But I have a question.

Should I do everything I can to get rid of the noise while in 4k - AND THEN downscale to 1080p? Or should I downscale and then use the Neat Video plugin? Does it even matter?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Noisy 4k RED Raw files, Neat Plugin, Downscaling....
on May 4, 2015 at 6:46:36 pm

I would definitely try to leave the downconvert to the last step in the chain to maximize quality on the fix shots. Resolve has really excellent noise removal capabilities as well- however you would need to purchase the full version to do the work in 4K.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

James Villeneuve
on May 7, 2015 at 4:29:03 pm

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate your time.

I'll approach things the way you've advised. I will say this, though...

holy smokes, Neat Video plugin is a miraculous technology sent from the distant future. It's incredibly effective.

Have a great day.

James.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 8, 2015 at 12:51:23 pm

How much time did you spend in REDCINEX with the R3Ds?
Are you sure they are noisy?
Have you tried with options like ISO, Shadow, ND, etc...
And yes clean first before downscaling.

Return to posts index

James Villeneuve
on May 15, 2015 at 3:48:36 pm

Hi. Thanks for responding. In the end, I did spend some more time getting to know the ins and outs of Red Raw files and fixed things more than I thought I could. But the shots in question really were very low light so I still needed to use the Neat Noise plugin. But everything worked out really well in the end.

I learned a LOT about the advantages of editing in FCPX with Red Raw (I could access Raw settings right inside the program) and that knowledge will definitely help me in less challenging situations.

Have a great day.

James.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]