FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you only see clip names and roles on the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Can you only see clip names and roles on the timeline?
on May 2, 2015 at 2:43:46 pm

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I want to make sure. I often have super large clips, from interviews or b-roll where I shoot for a long time. I want to be able to name a subsection of the longer clip and see that name on the timeline. But it seems like you can only have the role or clip name on the timeline. Since sometimes a clip has many different b-roll shots or it's a long interview, so I can't have one clip name encompassing this all. Am I right about this? I think I am but I wanted to make sure.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Can you only see clip names and roles on the timeline?
on May 2, 2015 at 2:55:23 pm

You are, and I recommend providing feedback to Apple about it. It would be nice to allow for a rename column for keyword ranges for just this sort of work.

However, something you CAN do is place markers on specific clips in your browser and name the markers. Then when you cut them into the timeline, you can view the names in the timeline index.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 2, 2015 at 2:56:48 pm

Good call. All the same, that's such a huge difference for me. It's not a deal breaker - I'll continue learning the program - but it does have me rethinking my choice of X over Avid or Premier. Grrr.....

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 2, 2015 at 4:44:38 pm

I did leave feedback! I'm making a bunch of shorts before starting to log a feature this month. I think the lesson I learned is that using and re-naming favorites as a primary organizing principle isn't the right move. Onto a new workflow!

Quick follow up: Am I right that you also can't see favorite names in the timeline index? It doesn't look like you can but I want to be sure.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 2, 2015 at 5:53:37 pm

You can view keywords in the index. So, for example you create a keyword collection for each sound bite, then as you add those to your project, you can see the keyword for each clip and jump to their position in the project.

In fact, that might be your best solution. it doesn't work with renamed favorites, but you can do it with collections.

Andy

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 2, 2015 at 5:55:04 pm
Last Edited By Noam Osband on May 2, 2015 at 5:55:38 pm

I thought about that. The problem is thought is I'd want to use it almost like subclips in FCP 7, making a new keyword for each bite. I worry that will make the system slow. I'm trying to break out of using X like 7. I just am really bugged it isn't easier to see notes in the timeline.

and Andy...thanks for all the help recently!

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on May 3, 2015 at 1:20:45 am

[Noam Osband] "I'm trying to break out of using X like 7"

Bingo. It's the hardest part of learning X, in my opinion. Once you get over that hump, you'll wonder why it took so long. After several years, I'm still learning to leave Avid/FCP7 and the others out of my X brain. Which can be hard when I still use them on a regular basis. But worth the effort.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 3, 2015 at 1:51:59 am

[Noam Osband] "I worry that will make the system slow."

I don't think you'll slow down X by creating lots of keyframes. All it's doing is tagging metadata, very low overhead.

But if you're trying break away from how FCP7 did things, you might consider organizing yourself and doing your selects in the browser where you can take advantage of all the great metadata features and only use the timeline to assemble your project.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]