FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpbundle file is HUGE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ed johnson
fcpbundle file is HUGE
on May 1, 2015 at 12:05:13 am

Even though I create a new project specifically using proxy files and leaving original files in place, FCPX creates a fcpbundle file that includes all of the original files anyway. So a 3 hour shoot with two cameras gives me a 106 GB fcpbundle file out of the 44 x 2.04 gb mxf files. What is going on here?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: fcpbundle file is HUGE
on May 1, 2015 at 12:33:24 am

Depending on the source files, leaving them in place might not be an option because they can't be edited natively. Certain camera files must be converted to prores.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 1, 2015 at 11:55:18 am

Sounds to me like they were rewraped. ProRes plus the proxies would be over 200GB. But 44x2 plus proxies sound like 106GB to me.

Ed, do you still have MXF import plugins installed even after Apple added MXF support? I think that should keep it from rewrapping as .mov.

Return to posts index

ed johnson
on May 2, 2015 at 2:55:31 am

Thanks Bret.

I wouldn't know if I have the MXF plugins still installed, but perhaps they disappeared with FCP7. Maybe my 2nd post here indicates a different direction.

Ed.

Return to posts index

ed johnson
on May 2, 2015 at 12:34:30 am

Thanks Andy for your reply, and also the link to all of your instructional videos which I find superior to anything else on the web!
In an effort to solve my problem, I came across the File>Delete Generated Event Files option in 10.1.3. First I deleted all render files, and the fcpbundle went from 106 to 48gigs. Next I deleted proxy files, and, lo and behold, the bundle file is now 1.99 gigs.
So, if proxy files take up nearly half the space as the original MXF files, as it appears, perhaps I don't want or need proxy files anyway. I am using an IMac Late 2012 with 3.4Ghz Intel Core i7, and 24gb of memory, so perhaps there won't be a noticeable speed penalty.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 2, 2015 at 12:55:42 am

Well, if hard drive space is at a premium for you, and your project isn't too big, you're probably fine without the proxies. Your machine seems fast enough as long as you don't have TOO many clips. The problem with editing files in their capture formats is that usually they need a lot of processor power to decompress and play in real time. So, if you start noticing serious lag, you may just want to bite the bullet and work with proxies as i-frame codecs like pro res don't use nearly as much processor overhead.

Good luck and thanks for the kind words.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]