FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any thoughts on this guys way of making tracks in FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Any thoughts on this guys way of making tracks in FCP X?
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:36:36 pm

I'm still learning FCP X, taking some online courses and reading books.

I often like editing films by section so this guy's way of using tracks in FCP X appeals to me: http://fcpx.tv/Pages/tracks.html

Any thoughts on this? What are positives and negatives of it? I'm still creating a workflow for myself.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Any thoughts on this guys way of making tracks in FCP X?
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:59:44 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Apr 28, 2015 at 7:00:51 pm

Negative to faking a track based workflow X is a total waste of the applications' greatest strengths. If you are locked into that mindset you will not have much fun with FCPX. Premiere, Avid, Resolve are all far more straightforward because they are designed for a track based workflow. FCPX is precisely designed against this approach.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 28, 2015 at 9:35:19 pm

I can't think of any positives to emulating tracks in FCPX.

As Noah said, trying to fake tracks totally defeats the purpose of editing in FCPX and you'll be imposing limitations on yourself you'll really wish you hadn't as your edit progresses. Take the time to learn FCPX and use it as intended and you'll be rewarded with faster edits, and more flexibility than you thought possible.

Having said that FCPX does sort of have tracks if you think of secondary storylines as mini tracks connected to a particular clip on the primary storyline. They just don't run the length of the timeline or have to be in any particular order.

If you're anything like me, once you've embraced the Final Cut trackless paradigm you'll find it almost impossible to imagine editing any other way.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:58:01 pm

[Noam Osband] "Any thoughts on this? What are positives and negatives of it? I'm still creating a workflow for myself."

Don't do it... There are much more creative uses of Secondary Storylines that get you what you got with tracks and a lot more. Here's one such trick i posted a while ago... :-) Skip to about 1:37 if it hasn't done it for you...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]