FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.4 Match EQ Learn Template button in H.U.D.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Paisnel
FCPX 10.1.4 Match EQ Learn Template button in H.U.D.
on Apr 27, 2015 at 1:00:09 pm
Last Edited By Neil Paisnel on Apr 28, 2015 at 4:33:35 pm

Have been playing around with FCP X Match EQ recently and have seen two if not three video tutorials on it , including one on the COW.

But so far none have explained the seemingly self explanatory use of the buttons with 'ears' in the HUD

Yes I have doen a passable job using the initial Match button , but when lookign at the HUD there are three buttons along the bottom.

My assumption was that the 'ear' logo and the word 'Learn' implied that you could 'Learn' a new template , possibly from a section of a clip, selected with the R tool and Match the Current section to it using the "=" Matrch button.

but what ever i have tried I can't do it

I thought along these lines:
Select a selection of clip you want to match , and click the learn template button.
I'd then have expected the red template to pop up with that waveform.
The select current, learn that section,
the use the Equals, Match button to match the current to the template.

That was how my logic and thought process led me to believe it would work...but we are talking Apple logic here, so nothgin is ever straightforward, and logic to my way of thinking.

Anyone able to explain the use of these buttons?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCPX 10.1.4 Match EQ Learn Template button in H.U.D.
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:27:32 pm

[Neil Paisnel] "Anyone able to explain the use of these buttons?"

There are some differences as this is a Logic Tutorial, but here's how it works... http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/mixing-tips-how-to-match-eq-in-logic-pr...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:44:13 pm

Umm.

Thanks for the link.

It confirms that how I thought it should work, is what I was trying...it is just that it does not do it.

The red Template line just stays flat and un analysed when I move the cursor to the track to be analysed for the 'source' tone curve.
Dragging that audio to the button does not work. the drag option just does not happen.

These are audio tracks attached to a video file. all shot from the same camera.

Will just have to keep experimenting with it as it does not do as the link for Logic shows to any extent.

Thanks for the link though.

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:51:03 pm

Here is the scenario

A stage show.

top left section of audio from the first night, lower track from subsequent night...I mucked up on the second night, when I forgot to bring the faders up on the desk at the intro.. but that second night was good in all other aspects, performers got it right, I got it in focus, not too much audience noise etc.

Only two mice on stage. a1 is centre stage and a2 was the feed from the guitars/ piano

I tried manually matching and also using the Auto function, but thing I'd get better match with a segment of match from the first clip one audience noise has died down.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:51:12 pm

[Neil Paisnel] "It confirms that how I thought it should work, is what I was trying...it is just that it does not do it.
"

Without opening the HUD, when you click Match Audio from the enhancement menu and then choose the channel you want to match it to, does it do anything? Are you applying the filter to a specific channel by expanding the components? Maybe in X, the analyses happens when you click the sources in the timeline, and maybe the HUD just lets you fine tune it? I've honestly never used the Learn/Apply buttons in the FCP X version...

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:04:32 pm

Yes,

When I choose Match, and then use the Choose option to select the complete track from the upper left in the earlier screen grab, it does produce a curve, so the basice matching procedure seems to work. Just that the first clip has a section a the start ith audience cheering . clapping etc. So I wanted to choose just a portion.

I suppose a 'work around ' is to Blade ' the section I want an create a separate clip and just then select that...but ...well I guess you know what I mean..it is a work around , rather than getting the software to work as it is supposed to.

My understanding is that you can Learn' a section for the template, I guess with the R mark drag tool, or playing with the playhead. so I'd hope I could work out how to do it.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:12:20 pm

[Neil Paisnel] "My understanding is that you can Learn' a section for the template, I guess with the R mark drag tool, or playing with the playhead. so I'd hope I could work out how to do it."

That seems correct, though sounds like it's either broken or maybe never worked... No help, but maybe send feedback...

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:22:03 pm

Yes, well, maybe, but I still have a feeling it is me, missing something obvious..

All clip properties are the same

I've got a close bough match for now. For the job in hand, no one is going to even notice or care really . It is just me being a perfectionist.

I have spent 2 days on and off matching those two clips, getting fade correct and finding two clasp that I can splice together, so the audio from one night matches the mouth movements from the second night . The video fades first, withe second nights video coming in over the top, while the audio from the first night continues, with the mouth moments syncronied with the there nights audio. Not easy when the cast are amateurs, with no sense of timing and the cameraman/ mixing deesk driver ( me) and the editor (also me) have no idea of video editing, and this is the first time with FCP X and not he second time with video editing. The last time was this very same show last year.
If I had just give them a straight DVD of the video as shot, they'd have been happy , but no, I had to go in and try and do a better job!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:36:10 pm

[Neil Paisnel] "If I had just give them a straight DVD of the video as shot, they'd have been happy , but no, I had to go in and try and do a better job!"

Well then you do have an idea of video editing. No matter what you cut or how good it is, you always find flaws with it. :-)

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:45:23 pm

I've always looked at TV programs, adverts films etc and thought...ugg, that was 'messy', or ah that was a nice ' cut'but I never really thought about it before in video edit terms.

Still have about 15 hours of DV cam footage i shot while living in Uganda and the Congo . Not the usual african safari, wildlife stuff either...the north and west of Uganda has some...errr interesting photo opportunities, if you can shoot without being seen, well you had to shoot without being seen or you would likely be ...shot yourself..but not with a camera

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:46:44 pm

[Neil Paisnel] "Still have about 15 hours of DV cam footage i shot while living in Uganda and the Congo . Not the usual african safari, wildlife stuff either...the north and west of Uganda has some...errr interesting photo opportunities, if you can shoot without being seen, well you had to shoot without being seen or you would likely be ...shot yourself..but not with a camera
"

:-o Start cutting! I'm sure that would find an audience... :-)

Return to posts index

Neil Paisnel
on Apr 28, 2015 at 6:52:32 pm

If only I could get out of this damn annoying habit of mine..helping others before doing my own jobs!!

Well not totally true, finally got around to replacing an exhaust manifold on a tractor on the farm I've been welding up for many years. The invoice in the parts box shows I bought the new part...18 years ago! Too many jobs not enough time ! life eh?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]