FORUMS: list search recent posts

A trip to Resolve Land

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
A trip to Resolve Land
on Apr 27, 2015 at 2:34:55 pm

Hey all -

For those who round trip to Resolve for color; do you usually "clean up" your timeline before the export the XML? I am sending a spot out for color and thought it might be a bit easier for the colorist if I got rid of the video on the Primary wherever there is cover footage on a secondary storyline. That would mean breaking apart audio and video but since it's basically VO at that point, I don't see the harm. Of course this "Color Version" would be a duplicate from the "Final Approved" version. Just might be a bit cleaner for the Resolve timeline.

Thoughts?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: A trip to Resolve Land
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:41:41 pm

I do. Depending on what how the edit was setup, I will break it down and break everything apart. I will export an aiff of the audio (if final audio hasn't been mixed and returned from post) and reimport, add that to the timeline, and then export the XML. I make a new Library, import the XML, consolidate that Project media to a new destination, and send the XML with that consolidated media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:47:27 pm

yeah, audio is going to post and roles and reference video have already been sent. Since I have the Library and all other pieces for this spot on a Tb G-raid drive, I just saved the XML to that folder for the Colorist. Seems to link up just fine in my tests with R11.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:42:02 pm

I would simplify the timeline as much as possible. Remove all effects and audio. Resizing *should* be OK, but don't trust it. Move everything you can down to the primary storyline. Put all retimed clips clean at the end of the sequence again (optional).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 29, 2015 at 12:40:12 am

Simplified everything and it worked like a charm. Impressed the colorist.

For some reason he wanted to go to Premiere for the audio layback and the (I think) XML back out of Resolve to Premiere crashed Premiere every time. Not being at the controls (and paying a bunch of cash per hour) I did not want to stop him to dig into this. I will find out what he was trying to do and see if it's a Premiere thing, FCPX thing or Resolve thing.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 29, 2015 at 12:49:36 am

[Scott Witthaus] "For some reason he wanted to go to Premiere for the audio layback"

What were you trying to do? Were you trying to generate a single master file or output to tape? Couldn't you just generate a single master file out of Resolve, complete with audio? Or was there further post required?

Regarding the XML, it's possible that there are some issues with what Resolve creates. Possibly opening this in FCP 7 and then re-exporting a new XML might have been friendlier to PPro.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 29, 2015 at 1:02:26 am

[Oliver Peters] "What were you trying to do? Were you trying to generate a single master file or output to tape? Couldn't you just generate a single master file out of Resolve, complete with audio? Or was there further post required?
"

Gonna look into this. Was wrangling a creative team while this was happening. Not sure why he wanted to go back to premiere at that point. All we needed to do was lay the audio in and slate it.

[Oliver Peters] "Regarding the XML, it's possible that there are some issues with what Resolve creates. Possibly opening this in FCP 7 and then re-exporting a new XML might have been friendlier to PPro."

Good to know. If we can cut Premiere out of the loop I think that would be better.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 29, 2015 at 1:08:01 am

[Scott Witthaus] "All we needed to do was lay the audio in and slate it. "

In theory, this should have been possible with Resolve. Of course, I'm assuming you are talking about Resolve 11. Was that the case?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 29, 2015 at 1:09:05 am

Yes, R11.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial