FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to quantel and back??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hudson
FCPX to quantel and back??
on Apr 21, 2015 at 2:12:26 pm

Heu all,
How are people getting a FCPX cut to a Quantel system (in this case Pablo) for color correction and then back to FCPX for final conform?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX to quantel and back??
on Apr 22, 2015 at 12:07:22 pm

Haven't been to Quantel, but I'd imagine EDL-X may work. And on the way back you'd get an EDL and have to use something like Pr or Resolve to import the EDL and translate back to FCPX using 7toX or Resolve.

I'm having similar issues with a Baselight workflow.

First, I made a new library, copied my final Project to it, and then consolidated the media to the new Libraries chosen media destination. This gets all of the relevant media in to one place.

I then exported an fcpxml and translated to XML (using Xto7). I imported that XML to Pr to check translation. It was all there and ready to go. I sent the XML with media and a compressed reference movie of my timeline to the grade facility.

I received the graded files back with handles and an XML. I used Pr to import the XML and relinked to files, and it was all there. I then translated the supplied XML to FCPXML using 7toX and imported in to FCPX.

Back in X, I duped my original Project, and then detached all the audio. I copied and pasted that audio on to the imported FCPXML of the graded Baselight files. I then received the final mix and splits from audio post, aligned those, and muted all of my temp audio.

It's a bit convoluted, but it works and everything looks beautiful and sounds great.

I inquired to Intelligent Assitanve to see if Sync-N-Link X could help with this, but it doesn't. Ideally, it would be awesome if Sync-N-Link X could relink the graded files back to the original timeline FCPXML and send back a reconstructed timeline, but apparently it does not have that capability (all sources including audio had matching tc). It seems like this could be done, but currently, there's no tool on the market to help with this. It would be nice if X let you relink to the media directly as well, but it won't due to the difference in audio channel config as Baselight files come back with no audio.

I imagine a similar process with Quantel, but using EDLs. I know the Focus production used Quantel, so perhaps it's worth looking in to their workflow. There's a book about it and some recent NAB presentations that are probably worth looking in to.

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Apr 22, 2015 at 1:22:40 pm

Wow that is a bit cumbersome. My current workflow is about the same. I have had success taking the fcpxml to Resolve. In Resolve I export and AAF. Import that AAF into Quantel Pablo. This all works. It is the next steps : Getting graded clips back that is the big issue.

I have discussed with Focus people and for the film Focus they did not need to go to this step as the film was conformed and finished at that point of the workflow (no going back into FCPX to finish) Q Pablo does not use xml. I will look into AAF out of Q Pablo and see how that goes.

In the past I have taken either the graded clips with handles and matched them back into the cut (time consuming!!) or I take the time output from Pablo and lay that over my clips in my FCPX timeline and then as needed match any clips back that need addressing -and hopefuly at that point the cut is pretty much locked.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:49:33 pm

Unless you're married to Pablo you'll have a much faster workflow with Resolve or Color Finale + SliceX/TrackX in FCPX.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:53:27 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Unless you're married to Pablo you'll have a much faster workflow with Resolve or Color Finale + SliceX/TrackX in FCPX."

Is that what we are supposed to tell colorists these days?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:06:19 pm

Not at al, I was just suggesting an alternative. 10 years ago I paid a DaVinci colorist $350/hour to grade my feature because there was no other viable option. In 2015 you have a lot more options, especially in FCPX. There is no reason to suffer as an editor just to fit into a specific pipeline.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:09:13 pm

[Noah Kadner] "There is no reason to suffer as an editor just to fit into a specific pipeline."

In some cases, there is no reason to suffer an editor who just won't fit into a specific pipeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:12:02 pm

I hear you, but in my case, I don't have a choice. The agency hires us and the colorist, and tells me to get the footage over to the colorist. I have to make that work. I'm supposed to say, "Well, I don't need to suffer"?

Deficiencies in X make it harder. Not impossible, but harder. If X had more flexible relinking, this conversation wouldn't need to happen, and we would all be happy, you know?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 22, 2015 at 5:14:08 pm

[David Hudson] "How are people getting a FCPX cut to a Quantel system (in this case Pablo) for color correction and then back to FCPX for final conform?"

It seems the big finishing systems are a little late to the idea that they might not be used as the last step in the pipeline.

I don't have a solution to offer you, but if you don't mind sharing, I'd be very interested in learning the context around the workflow need to conform again in FCP X after "finishing" in Pablo. Thank you!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]