FORUMS: list search recent posts

Print a report of work hours

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Yanez
Print a report of work hours
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:18:27 pm

Hi, I wonder if any of you know how cai I print how many hours I have been working on a project in Final Cut Pro X. Can it be possible?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Print a report of work hours
on Apr 20, 2015 at 4:12:51 pm

I use this..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tasklog/id530068595?mt=12

it isn't part of X, and cost 6 bucks, but it's a great little app...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:29:59 pm

Just to clarify- you'd need to have that kind of app installed before starting a gig. There's no way to determine that from an already completed project in X (just like most apps).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:53:49 pm

A simple cheat if you don't have a tracker installed is to go to your Autosave vault and scan the dates and times on the files there.

It's not precise, but they are only created when you're actually working in X, so it's a rough list of the days and times you were active.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Miguel Yanez
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:22:09 pm

It sounds interestin Bill, but I have a question, How do I do that? I mean, How can I scan the information? clicking with the right button on the autosave value?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 20, 2015 at 9:38:42 pm

Select your library then FILE>OPEN LIBRARY>FROM BACKUP and you're see a pull down list with all the autosaves available. As Bill said it only saves if something has changed so it's accurate to about 15 min.

Why do you need to have such specific billing? Wouldn't you at least bill by the hour or half hour minimum?

Me, I just keep it all in iCal. I've found some apps in the past that will produce an invoice from iCal data and write to iCal the timing data. But I've found tracking apps to be just as much trouble as entering the time myself. Plus, how do I discern a 30min search on iStock for just the right image and taking a break to web surf? Or getting emails with images from the client and checking my email on a lunch break?

And it's all just more stuff to reinstall whenever I do a clean install every 6 mo or so.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:11:54 pm

Flat rates do suck the life out of an editor though...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:27:40 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Flat rates do suck the life out of an editor though...

Noah"

Not so sure about that, Noah.

In a purely theoretical hourly pay system, all else being equal - the slow novice will take MORE time and therefore makes MORE money than the experienced cutter who's built efficiency via practice.

There's an incentive NOT to be productive if you're purely scoring by hours.

Yes, I know in the real world there are outside forces like reputation and tiered rates - but basically in hourly pay you're selling an inventory (your time) that is CONSTANTLY and UNSTOPPABLY ticking away - with all sorts of pressures to cave on billable hours to make your shop or client happy.

Anytime you can move from selling time - to instead selling "expertise" - preferably UNIQUE expertise - then I think you're on the right track.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Miguel Yanez
on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:17:35 pm

Great app Charlie, may be I will download it, but I need something more specific. Thank you very much for your response, I will consider you opinion

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 20, 2015 at 8:29:03 pm

I use office time from the App Store. Comes in OS X& iOS versions and allows for customisation.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Miguel Yanez
on Apr 20, 2015 at 8:45:54 pm

Oh It seems to be reaaly good. Can you customise the app for traking the use of a specific application like Final Cut?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:22:17 pm

Miguel

You can set up processes that you carry out that appear in a drop down. OfficeTime knits into iCalender neatly and you can spit out invoices when you are finished.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Paul Sinkovich
on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:27:14 am

My MacTime is a great little App that tracks Apps. Sits in the Menu. Whenever you open an App, it starts to record the time spent on it. Set up projects. You can set a price per hour. It's just been updated. I'm not affiliated with the developer, but been using it for years. Best simple App I've found.

Return to posts index

Miguel Yanez
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:46:17 am

Excellent I will Try with this App, Thank You Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]