FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting rid of duplicate files in my library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wendy andersen
getting rid of duplicate files in my library
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:05:46 pm

Hi,
I have footage from 5 different cameras, delivered on several different drives, and in an effort to make sure nothing was overlooked, I managed to copy in a lot of the clips twice.

I can see them in the list (organised by date). So I can select every other file and delete it, but there are hundreds of them: making my library nearly double the size it should be, and I'm worried that if I don't delete them before editing - I will be stuck with them for fear of deleting the used copy.

But short of "CMD select"-"move to trash"-"are you sure?" repeat, repeat, repeat, 500 times...
Is there an easier "delete all duplicates" command, hidden somewhere...

please?

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
Re: getting rid of duplicate files in my library
on Apr 17, 2015 at 2:57:08 am

Did you import everything on the same date? Hopefully no. Toward the bottom of the library there are some sort / group tools, and I believe you can group by date imported.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Apr 17, 2015 at 3:01:35 am

Or maybe.. Quickly go through and assign a rating or reject the dups and then view only the assigned rating or rejects and delete them all from your event at once.

Return to posts index

wendy andersen
on Apr 17, 2015 at 10:09:48 am

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your suggestions.
Unfortunately I did import them all on the same day.
The dups were all over the place, not just every other file - so not really possible to mark them all up simply (for deletion or for rating). In the end I went through and deleted all the individual duplicates - 500 of them, on both the main drive and backup!

If any one else has any suggestions I'd still be interested to hear for the future.
(Yes I am confident in my ability to repeat my mistake again)

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Apr 17, 2015 at 1:56:19 pm

Put each import in a separate event. Make use of "show used" and "sort by unused" functions.

anickt

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 17, 2015 at 4:46:36 pm

I would research the subject thoroughly before making a move- but consolidating your Library would be a big help here.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]