FORUMS: list search recent posts

Went back to 10.1.4 :-{

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Went back to 10.1.4 :-{
on Apr 16, 2015 at 3:45:05 am

Sadly, I was having too many problems with spinning beachballs and crashes. I'd be curious to know if anyone else with an older computer was having any troubles.

The good news is that I opened the libraries that have been updated to the new version, and I exported an xml of the library. FCPX lets you export either the newer version of the xml (1.5), or the old version(1.4). I pulled the old apps out of my Time Machine, deleting the new ones, and created a new library, importing the xml, and I've restored my libraries and projects.

Hooray for XML.

As for my crashes and freezes, I have a lot of applications on my 2010 MBP. I have replaced my optical drive with a second internal hd, so I have 2tb on my old 17", on an ssd boot drive and a standard drive for my edit media.

If I had the time, I might try a clean install of Yosemite, but it always takes about a week to get everything back to about where it was.

Anyone else having problems using FCPX 10.2 on an older computer?

-Mark

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: Went back to 10.1.4 :-{
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:54:33 am

I did a clean instal of Yosemite and 10.2 on a 2008 Mac Pro and it has been running great. I haven't tried any 3D text yet but multicam and color correction working great.

Bad news is my esata card isn't working and I might have to go back to Mavericks

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:01:48 pm

I needed to do an upgrade to latest Yosemite and repair permissions from recovery partition and then everything came together. Prior to that I was in beach ball land every time I wanted to save a still from the browser or time line. After permisions repair and yosemite update no more beach balls.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 16, 2015 at 1:11:58 pm

I did that, a couple of times. I suspect it's my internal ssd. I finally tried re-installing Yosemite on it. After 90 min of installing, it tried to boot and gave me an endless succession of kernel panics.

I'm installing Yosemite in my old internal spinning drive and I'm seriously looking at a tricked out late 2013 mbp from macmall. $2500 for 16gb ram and 1tb solid state memory.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 18, 2015 at 9:12:45 am

Sounds to me as if your issues are anything but FCP's fault.

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 18, 2015 at 4:04:50 pm

I wouldn't say that Robin. I reinstalled my old spinning hard drive that came with the mac, and I had the exact same problem.

Apple responded to my feedback and I sent them crash info.

Either I have something on my system that's causing it to crash, or there are certain configurations that give it problems.

No matter, because I used it as an excuse to upgrade my computer. I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues with it. I understand the optical flow has changed from the previous version.

-Mark

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 19, 2015 at 1:27:05 pm

[Mark Morache] "I wouldn't say that Robin. I reinstalled my old spinning hard drive that came with the mac, and I had the exact same problem."

I wasn't implying the disk in particular was root of the problem. I'd say the setup as a whole is a tad too dated. The fact that video demands the latest and greatest to work properly isn't X specific. But you seem to be on the right track as far as that's concerned. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Apr 16, 2015 at 4:44:28 pm

It's been perfect sailing on both my 2012 MBP and my 2013 Mac Pro. I already had Yosemite up to date when I upgraded FCPX. No problems at all and, let me tell you, I have some complex edits!

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 16, 2015 at 6:30:22 pm

I'm pushing on a Mac Pro 4,1 w/Quadro 4800 and things are smooth (as can be expected on the older hardware). We have replaced the normal boot drive with Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSDs, and performed a fresh Yosemite install to 10.10.3, but no crashes or delays during normal work (including a LOT of playing with the new 3d Titling).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Frank Valtellina
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:12:51 pm

Mac Pro 2010, 12 core with SSD. Updated from Mavericks to Yosemite... no problem. Fcpx 10.2 seems much snappier to use. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:05:36 pm

Everything's running fine on my 2012 27" iMac although it only has a 512mb graphics card so i get a warning that the new 3D stuff won't work properly. The than that FCPX seems to be much faster.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Dave Hauss
on Jul 2, 2015 at 10:15:43 pm

I just went back to 10.1.4 also. I am on a mid 2011 iMac with 16 GB ram. Never had a problem with 10.1.4 but NOW with 10.2.1, it crashes all the time. Mostly doing titles (not the 3D titles but the regular titles I always use). I hope apple will get this resolved, but until then, I have clients who need their video and I cannot finish if it crashes every few minutes....

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2015 at 3:13:49 pm

Same spec and vintage Imac. Tried three different units and intermittent very bad crashes. Always with a thunderbolt raid tethered, and FCP and/or Aperture, either active or in back ground. Tried clean install and that did not help. Testing now to see if maybe the power supply cord or thunderbolt cable might cause the crash.

Curious if your crashes are the same type as mine: screen freezes. keyboard and mouse will not work at all. Then system shuts itself down and then reboots itself. Once rebooted the thunderbolt media drive may or may not be back on-line and the library that was active may or may not be readable. A reboot again will bring the library back on-line even if after crash it was read as 0 bytes. Aperture will pop up window about directory corruption and will offer option to rebuild directory - which works. I thought this was a hardware issue but this has happened on three different Macs in the lab.

I've had some clues of possible causes and fixes. I'll try a new power cord and thunderbolt cable. I bought unit home with me to test under different electrical outlet. And I just updated to 10.10.4. There was mention that these type of crashes were happening with jpeg files past a certain size being opened in preview. And also I read that certain graphic cards were having problems and 10.10.4 addresses these problems. Sorry can't give links. I also did a goggle search for these type of crashes and found a bunch of 2011 iMac owners reporting the same thing. My repair shop also reported that this vintage iMac was not playing well with Yosemite and suggested I go back an OS. However, I need to keep OS current for FCP X. Aperture would be fine with Mav.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 3, 2015 at 9:52:03 am

[Mark Morache] "Anyone else having problems using FCPX 10.2 on an older computer?"

2009 Imac running latest both fine here.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 3, 2015 at 1:54:09 pm

I've been lucky going back and forth from 10.2.1 to 10.1.4 with just my Libraries.
Mind you Im not going deep with any new functions e.g. 3D Title, etc...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]