FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are these clips split?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Why are these clips split?
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:16:47 pm

Sometimes I do a keystroke....and suddenly the audio and video of secondary clips are split. I've looked online and can't figure out exactly what I did. I realize it must be a simple thing....but I don't know it!

Can someone tell me what I did and also how to change it? Im attaching a screen grab: 8711_screenshot20150407at1.15.42am.png.zip

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Why are these clips split?
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:32:17 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:34:27 pm

Looks like you hit Control S which is Expand Clip Items. (If it was me doing it, I'd suspect it was a neurological vestige of my former Legacy conditioning of having to SAVE my work every 10 minutes or so. Wow am I glad those days are gone!)

Double click in the dark blue space between the video and audio and the clip will close back up.

BTW, there are more than 300 other keyboard shortcuts in X, Its useful to become familiar with as many of them as fit your workflow, because they typically make anyone a much more efficient editor.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:38:24 pm

Indeed. I just started learning it. By the end of my time in FCP7, i could zip around easily. This is my first time switching editing systems. I guess I need to get used to it in this gig. But man I feel like a helpless child...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2015 at 11:36:13 pm

Honestly, I'd really recommend you get some formal training. It's not impossible to pick up X entirely by the old method of clicking around and trying things until it does what you need, but honestly, X is different enough from the NLEs that came before it that you'll get comfortable about 10 times faster with structured learning.

And my other advice is don't skip around too much. Diving right into storyline editing is about the worse possible way to learn X. It's too easy to skip over the database organization stuff - and X is a system where if you aren't working with both parts of the software - both the media management/database stuff AND the magnetic storyline editing, you're going to be missing HUGE amounts of the software's power and efficiency from square one.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:46:22 pm

[Noam Osband] "By the end of my time in FCP7, i could zip around easily. This is my first time switching editing systems."

I use, on a daily basis, FCP X, Premiere, and FCP 7. I can zip around easily in all of them. but it sometimes takes a minute after CMD Tabbing from one to the other to remember where the heck I am. :-)

You'll get it, but as Bill says, running through some training is a very good idea. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]