FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I rename my favorites or add info in the notes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Should I rename my favorites or add info in the notes?
on Apr 5, 2015 at 10:19:11 pm

I'm starting to create my own workflow for FCP X metadata, working on short little projects before I start editing a feature length.

In FCP 7, I would create subclips and rename them with info about the shot and content.

In FCP X, I'm creating favorites and add keywords to add some data, but I still want a bit more specific data about the shot. Do people think I should rename the section I favorited or just add the data in the notes section? Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Should I rename my favorites or add info in the notes?
on Apr 6, 2015 at 1:30:52 am

Thats a hard call.

One factor is often deciding which layout you prefer to work in.

If you decide to use the notes field extensively, you're likely going to want to stay in database layout most of the time so that you can directly see that info. Others prefer to spend more time in clip view, because they get a larger array of pictorial feedback. I'm a picture guy myself. I use keywords to narrow options, then I want to SEE my choices in pictures.

But I know plenty of excellent editors who prefer working in the spreadsheet view.

This one really IS horses for courses, IMO.

Only you can know which you prefer.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2015 at 11:45:00 am

What keep nr of data and how do you need to find it or use it later? I'd consider using markers.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Apr 6, 2015 at 7:54:35 pm

...Will you ever return to this project? Will anybody else ever work on it? If either is yes, work the short name, then the tags. IF both are no, then it's just a pragmatic thing you can overlook for now. If you have a few clips, the name is superfluous. IF you have a lot of them or several camera angles you're clipping, it's nice to be able to go by name and picture for comparison.

Short rule:
A. More than 3 cameras, start with the name of the clip then tag the notes (basic logging techniques can be done by an intern or camera holder who was shooting on that day)
B. Multiple locations (beach to city, or separated by logical travel), start with the name

Long Rule:
A. Actual footage longer that 2 hours (combining the camera footage end to end), start with the name
B. Actual footage spanning more than 5 clips, start with the name (this is when your video comes from amateurs with their little family handicams or iphones and they clip through vacation).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]